motor runs in neutral only - no forward or reverse

tightline

Cadet
I have a 1977 - 40HP Evinrude

Problem: motor starts and runs fine, but propeller only spins in neutral - will not gear into forward or reverse.

Diagnostic:
i) Checked the shift mechanism (working fine)
ii) Removed lower unit and checked gears, cluch dog and shift lever are shifting ok - pulled on the shift rod and watched the cluch dog engage the gears along the propeller shaft - all good - shifts into forward and reverse -

Problem: Examined the drive shaft - the top splines which engage with the crank shaft are scored & worn and covered with a black gunk.

Any ideas what the source of this problem is?

What or where should i look next?

Thanks in advance for any direction,,

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: motor runs in neutral only - no forward or reverse

Disconnect the shift cable and try shifting at the engine. I suspect you have a broken cable.

tightline

Cadet
Re: motor runs in neutral only - no forward or reverse

I checked this - there is nothing wrong with the shifting lever on the engine - the motor shifts fine - this is what happened to the motor (i think) - the clutch dog may have jammed and the drive shaft then locked when i shifted while running- this cased the crank shaft to keep spinning - but with the drive shaft locked - the crank shaft them stripped the splines of the upper drive shaft seated into the splines of the crank shaft -

What i think i have to do now is take the whole motor apart and remove the crankshaft and purchase a new crankshaft and drive shaft along with clutch dog - i assume these parts and labour are beyond the value of this motor - so i think it's the end --

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know because i am at a loss --

The only think i can think of to salvage this is to purposely fuse the driveshaft to the crank shaft and use the motor till it dies completely - maybe i can get another year out of it -

Anyone know a good method to fuse the metals and splines of the drive shaft to the crank shaft - some kind of silicone or glue or something - i know it's a hack job - but i just want to get a little more life out of her and then throw in the towel..

Thanks