Motor Lock?

lp142

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1966 Inline 6, that when ever the engine is in gear, there is a latch underneat that grabs on to the trim rod so it cannot be lifted, that's fine, I'm assuming that it supposed to work for the reverse side too, my problem is that when I put it in neutral and try to lift the motor I can't it's still locked, I have to put the control in reverse before it unlatches, how do I fix that?

erniex

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Motor Lock?

I thought the reverse lock only worked IN reverse to keep the engine down when in reverse - in forward it would be unlocked to allow it to rise up should it hit something like a rock or the bottom to keep from ripping off the lower unit. Could something be installed backwards?

EE

lp142

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That might be it, i have replaced the impeller and there was a slanted type of cam it could go either way and I just put it back on, maybe I need to drop the lower unit again and swap the cam around?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

If the lock on your '66 is the same as the lock on the 70s models, it only unlocks when the motor is in forward.

lp142

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Is that the hard plastic bushing looking thing that has a slope on one side?

lp142

Petty Officer 3rd Class

OK, check this out, I dropped the LU and swapped the bushing around, but now the enging does not lock in any gear, I haven't had it in the water yet, do I need to start it and put it in gear before the reverse lock adjusts itself?

Sig_Mech

Seaman

The reverse lock should work when you shift into reverse whether or not your engine is running. That little plastic cam with the slope pushes up on a rod that closes a set of dogs around your trim rod. If you dropped your LU to change your impeller and that cam was removed you need to make sure it goes back in the correct position. If it is incorrect the lock will not function properly. If your boat is sitting on the trailer go ahead and shift into reverse (no need to start it ), and the reverse lock should work. If it doesn't, you will need to drop the LU and reposition the cam. The lock does not adjust itself, the cam spins on the shift shaft when you shift into reverse.

lp142

Petty Officer 3rd Class

OK, when it was locking in forward, the slope on the bushing was facing left, I turned the slope 180 degrees to the right, but now it does not lock in any gear, should I drop the unit once more and position the slope in the center?

Shift to reverse and drop lower unit. Flat part of cam should be in 12 O'clock position or so. You "carefully" rotate the shift shaft and see how the mechanism works.