Motor Alignment Question

metalwizard

Chief Petty Officer
AS some of you know I have been working on a 73 arrowglass viper. 17.5 foot tri hull

Rebuilt the drive replaced the 165 hp motor. etc etc

It runs pretty good. but I seem to be having some trim issues.

I DONT have a trim motor for it yet. (on order) but I can adjust it by hand..

When I take it out the bow seems to come up pretty high. I adjusted the front motor mount up as far as it would go and it got better BUT I still have to move people forward for it to ride the best..

Here are some thoughts... when I put the transom boot on, the intermediate housing seems kind of LOW in the transom hole. took me some effort to get the boot aligned up. Not MAJOR but its seemed to be an inch maybe even 2 inches low. didnt worry about it at the time.. BUT I got to thinking. (yeah I know that causes trouble every time)

If the rear motor mounts are shot, maybe even the stringers are a little low, making the back of the motor low. that means the prop is low in the water, could this be forcing the bow to come up?

Without super special tools is there a way to measure this and make sure it is correct?

I know I won't get true results until I get the trim motor in, but it was a thought, and in my head that makes sense.

Sort of on the same topic. where should the boat sit in the water at rest? How much in and how much out of the water? it seems to be close to level, maybe a little rear low.

Last thing on the same subject I did some searching but didn't find a great answer for my boat. what should my R's and speed be at WOT? I think I am close, but I know it is not 100% correct. I get to about 4000 rpm, and 30-35 mph (factory speedo) thinking about it now I really think it should be faster. I know there is a LOT that can effect that.. timing advance, dwell. carb, prop etc even hull condition... but I wonder if I am close to what I should be.

this is my first boat so sorry for all the typical questions, I figure a new thread is better than hijacking another one.

I do have this picture (not the greatest) of it in the water at rest last weekend. I will take pics of the transom boot and ream mounts when the sun comes up.

Attachments

• wake the dead.jpg
    wake the dead.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 0

metalwizard

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Motor Alignment Question

OK here are those pictures I promised it is kind of hard to tell, but it truely does sit closer to the bottom of the hole than the top.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 0

metalwizard

Chief Petty Officer

WOW I am surprised No response at all. this is one I can't look up I was hoping someone knew.

metalwizard

Chief Petty Officer

nothing? not even a "you're stupid shut up" at least that I can agree with..

NW Redneck

Chief Petty Officer

What's with all the smurf goo around the boot? :confused: :D I'm not sure about what the proper measurements should be, but that distance is going to change as the engine/drive are trimmed up and down. My boat used to have a huge amount of bow rise when getting on plane. It didn't take long to plane, just put the bow waaayyy up in the air while getting there. Adding smart tabs made a HUGE difference in the amount of bow rise.

NW Redneck

Chief Petty Officer

OK, just out of curiosity I went out and measured mine (1976 175hp) and with the drive trimmed all the way in (front of the motor at it's highest point) I had 2 1/8" from the top and 1 1/2" at the bottom, measured to the inside of the boot retaining ring.

metalwizard

Chief Petty Officer

Thank you for the input. that is pretty close the where mine is at tight now... So I guess that was just me freaking out.

Good to know I am close to where I am supposed to be.

Do the tabs work better that the stock trim setup? with trim tabs.. where do you set the stock trim for the best performance? or is that something you just have to "find"

thanks a million.

NW Redneck

Chief Petty Officer

The smart tabs are non-controlled tabs. They are mounted with actuators that are kind of like shock absorbers so they self adjust. The actuators have several mounting points so you can adjust the angle and the amount of force the actuators give. Look up Nauticus Smart tabs to get a better idea of how they look and work. The owner of the company (John) is also an iboats member and they have great customer service.

The tabs don't replace the stock trim system, they just improve the overall handling of the boat. They reduce bow rise while getting on plane, reduce porpoising while under way, let you stay on plane at lower speeds, help reduce slow speed wandering, and possible increase top end speed & fuel efficiency. (Don't mean to sound like a commercial, but they did all they claimed to do for me and I love them!) My boat has the 'deluxe' Selectrim setup that uses 2 hydraulic rams as the front motor mounts to raise and lower the motor & drive. I start out with the drive trimmed all the way in (front of the motor up) and as I get on plane I trim out (front of the motor down) until I get the best ride and handling.

metalwizard

Chief Petty Officer

I did a bunch of reading.. sounds like some smart tabs are in my future. Thanks again. seems like WELL worth the small expense.