Moron fixing boat on launch ramp

bkwapisz

Chief Petty Officer
And that moron was me. Went to a little known lake with a buddy after having done a load of fuel pump stuff to the motor. Told him that I hadn't had time to sea trial (or even start it) and he says "I'm sure it's fine..." Well we get to the ramp and I've got a no-start issue. Luckily there was NO-ONE at the ramp that day and we pulled it out, got some tools, and fixed the issue. Seems that outboards do not like when the fuel pump hoses are incorrectly hooked up and also don't run when you prime fuel right thru the pulse fitting. :redface: Anyway, got her going and everything's cool now.

And I DID remember the plug. ;)

bkwapisz

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Moron fixing boat on launch ramp

Forgot to mention this: So two days later we are fixing to pull the boat when I notice that there is a pontoon boat on a trailer parked in the only spot on the top of the only launch ramp, completely blocking the ramp. I also notice that it's sort of on the trailer, listing on the port bow side, like it fell off. I pulled up to see if maybe they needed some muscle to help put it back on and there's a gaggle of fellows standing there with it. Turns out the pontoon on the port side leaked and they were draining it. I looked at my buddy and we decided to come back later when these guys moved it away so we could retrieve my boat. Nice.

Last edited:

DonHof

Petty Officer 1st Class

People at the ramp just don't think, or they think they are the only ones
that matter. I seen people work on their boats at the dock and there are two - three people waiting to get their boats out. Instead of moving the boat to the other side of the dock where there is no ramp and work they just sit there and say ( you know how it is first time out for the season).

bkwapisz

Chief Petty Officer

I should mention that I did move it off the ramp to work on it. (No one came around the whole time we were there but the courtesy was still in effect...)

a70eliminator

Captain

There were two guys working on a boat the other night holding up traffic, finally I got my opening and proceeded to offload and pull my boat around to the outboard side of the docks, I came back from parking truck and the guy that was behind me was now retrieving his boat, the boat was already on the trailer and he proceeded to gun his engine with trim full up, I was thinking whats this idiot doing, just then i relized he had absolutely drenched those guys tieing up the left ramp, it was the first time power loading got a thubs up from me.

NHGuy

Captain

I wouldn't have done that, but I sure would have enjoyed seeing it done!

a70eliminator

Captain

Oh man.. it was awsome, 3 deuds in the boat plus the owner, no shortage of testosterone, my daughter her boyfriend and I just sat and watched the show.
All the mechanic guys needed to do was pull their boat to the outboard side of the dock and they wouldn't have been in the way, they were oblivious.
This launch site is well known for it's ramp fallicies, it's an adventure on any given Sunday, it's free entertainment.

'96 Charger

Petty Officer 1st Class

Seems like most of you load and unload the boat with the engine off. You won't hardly find that around here in bass boat country. When there's two of us if you blink you won't see us put in or pull out of the water we're so quick...all with the engine on the boat running. Guiding the boat on and off the trailer by hand takes too long and holds up the ramp.

dwco5051

Commander

I have seen 10 or 12 bass boats loaded and tied down in a buddy tournament in less time then it took to get a Sunfish off the roof racks and put in the water by a young couple in their 20's using one of the spots on a double wide ramp.

a70eliminator

Captain

Heck my 14 yr old daughter can handle our 20' bowrider, (yes she has her permit) it's the old '67' vintage hull /w 80hp evinrude that doesn't just turn key and go like your bass boat does, nor does it have an easy load trailer, so yea it does take some finess to be efficient, you don't just drive it onto the trailer unless you want to see what happens when fiberglass meets metal.

j_martin

Admiral

Heck my 14 yr old daughter can handle our 20' bowrider, (yes she has her permit) it's the old '67' vintage hull /w 80hp evinrude that doesn't just turn key and go like your bass boat does, nor does it have an easy load trailer, so yea it does take some finess to be efficient, you don't just drive it onto the trailer unless you want to see what happens when fiberglass meets metal.

That has to do with design. If I can get the nose of my bass boat between the windboards, the trailer will grab and center it. Then if there's wind or current to deal with, I might have to move the fantail over with the engine to center, then center the rudder, gun it a bit, and it's on the trailer. Usually takes about 15 seconds.

a70eliminator

Captain

Your bass boat has a fantail? I thought only big ships had them for off loading like a giant swim platform.
And yes design has everything to do with it, fuel injected engines & self centering trailers, no contest in a launch and load, on buisy days my antique boat stays home.

TerryMSU

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Forgot to mention this: So two days later we are fixing to pull the boat when I notice that there is a pontoon boat on a trailer parked in the only spot on the launch ramp, completely blocking the ramp. I also notice that it's sort of on the trailer, listing on the port bow side, like it fell off. I pulled up to see if maybe they needed some muscle to help put it back on and there's a gaggle of 60-something fellows standing there with it. Turns out the pontoon on the port side leaked and they were draining it. I looked at my buddy and we decided to come back later when these geniuses moved it away so we could retrieve my boat. Nice. :mad::confused:

Maybe those geniuses could not pull the pontoon out with all the extra weight in it. Maybe, they needed the slope under the pontoon to get the water in the back where it could drain. Maybe they were just doing the best they knew could figure to do. Maybe we could cut someone a little slack and remember when we weren't perfect ourselves.

TerryMSU

bkwapisz

Chief Petty Officer

Maybe those geniuses could not pull the pontoon out with all the extra weight in it. Maybe, they needed the slope under the pontoon to get the water in the back where it could drain. Maybe they were just doing the best they knew could figure to do. Maybe we could cut someone a little slack and remember when we weren't perfect ourselves.

TerryMSU

Maybe you should go back and reread my post and understand it before you criticize. Let me paraphrase it for you:

Bunch of guys with a pontoon OUT of the water on level ground.
Pontoon moved partially OFF trailer with the port bow down, purposely.
About 2 acres of empty land to do this, they chose right in front of the ramp.

I'm sorry, but a lack of common sense when they see people trying to use the ramp and not moving gets no slack from me, especially when 2 able bodied younger muscular guys ask if they need assistance to move it and they state "No, we're doing A-OK, but thanks!" Maybe you could consider that I did cut them some slack when I didn't make a big deal out of it and chose to come back later.

TerryMSU

Senior Chief Petty Officer

When I read on the launch ramp, I assumed it meant on the launch ramp, not in front of the ramp.

TerryMSU

Last edited:

bkwapisz

Chief Petty Officer

When I read on the launch ramp, I assumed it meant on the launch ramp, not in front of the ramp.

TerryMSU

Perhaps I should have been more clear in my post. The point of this thread was to make fun of myself, not these other guys. I included them as an aside to show that I had tolerance, not to poke fun even though I felt what they did was inappropriate. Anyway, I'm out.

Peace.

'96 Charger

Petty Officer 1st Class

Your bass boat has a fantail? I thought only big ships had them for off loading like a giant swim platform.
And yes design has everything to do with it, fuel injected engines & self centering trailers, no contest in a launch and load, on buisy days my antique boat stays home.

A properly maintained and tuned carb engine can run just as good as a fuel injected engine once warmed up and even when cold if you're lucky. When putting in the water I need to feather my throttle a little but can keep it running when cold because I know my engine. When by myself in the time it takes me to untie the rope in a knot that all you have to do is yank and it's undone (about 20 seconds) my carb engine has picked up and warm enough and is ready to boogie off the trailer.

j_martin

Admiral

In common naval usage, fantail merely means the rear most part of the ship. On anything built for our navy in the least half century it is usually a flat deck with winches, helipad, or something of that sort on it. My rear casting,swim, ski post deck would be the miniature embodiment of that.

What I don't understand is why I'm wasting time arguing with a nitpicker.:D

bkwapisz

Chief Petty Officer

Hey I'm doing great here lately. My last thread got locked, this thread is only 3 days old and already has had 2 fights! :redface: Aren't we supposed to be having fun on here????

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Hey I'm doing great here lately. My last thread got locked, this thread is only 3 days old and already has had 2 fights! :redface: Aren't we supposed to be having fun on here????

Keep in mind....you posted this. :rolleyes:

Maybe you should go back and reread my post and understand it before you criticize. Let me paraphrase it for you:

It wasn't necessary, and I'm sure in hindsight you could have been a bit less confrontational. ;)