More transom problems, need some advice

Trooper82

Commander
Re: More transom problems, need some advice

Zymox, excellent work.! I hope I can do half as good when my time comes.
I really got a kick out of what you wrote on the transom.

I'll be tagging along for the ride.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

You will NOT have to worry about Transom Flex.. Thats for SURE!!!! Really nice job!!!! iBoats will be grateful for the Ad in 50 years!!!!:eek:

Speakrdude

Ensign

Is that a small Nuclear Reactor in the background?????

zymox

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hehe, Almost :)

It's a 12Mw oil burner. The place I'm using is an old plant for the local heating district that we no longer use.
When the diesel price went sky-high here in Sweden we changed those old burners to gas. Problem now days is that the price for gas also is sky-high so we don't use this plant anymore. We have tried to sell that burner for years but no one here wants to buy such any more. It will consume about 15000 liters of diesel per 24 hour and with a price of $1791 / 1000 liter diesel. Lucky for me since I can use the space for free :D

zymox

Petty Officer 2nd Class

More update:

Did the cleaning of the transom to day and it all looks good.

Tried the cap and it will not be any bigger problems to get it back again, all the old rivet holes still lines up. The new transom is thicker meaning I have to adjust the bathtub but I don't feel that it should be any problems.
Shame though is that I can't do my knees as high as I would like to unless I redesign the tub a bit when doing the new bottom/edge for this.

Had to do a cut out because of the new thicker transom.
cap_1.jpg

The cut, seems to be pretty fair.
cap_2.jpg

I haven't decided yet if I will go with the original or if I will re-design it to get the knees as high as possible against the transom?
cap_3.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

With the increased thickness of your transom AND the excellent glassing that you did (much better than the factory) you Will NOT have to worry about transom flex due to torque or stress with that 140hp motor. The height of your stringers as they are right now are morethan adequate to accomadate the stresses. Especially once the splashwell is tied back in. She will be one Monster Strong stern capable of sustaining anything you can throw at her!!!!!;)

62 ROYAL SCOTT

Petty Officer 1st Class

HELLO ,Nice work it won't be long and SPLASH

Last edited:

zymox

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Progress in pictures...

With my work claiming more and more time it will take some time between the updates...Sorry 4 this
But I'll try to look in to the forum as often as I can to help out if needed.

Stringers... How to make em?
Well I didn't find a straight forward answer to make em for an ob when you cut the cap and don't redo all of it so I did it my own way. Right or wrong but I hope it works.

Since my original stringers just was some hollow beams I decided to follow the trend.

string1.jpg
Made the skeleton out of some EPS-foam wrapped in masking-tape, preventing it all to melt away.
Held in place with some good PB

string2.jpg

string3.jpg

string4.jpg
Nice rounded edged, used a plastic spoon for the PB. All the round edges will make sure I can wrap the cloth without getting lots of air bubbles.

string5.jpg
Almost ready for some coating...
But first a "ruff and scuff" and then A LOT of acetone to clean it...
Also making all the stick-outs from the PB and the transitions from the orig. stringer to the new skeleton smooth.

zymox

Petty Officer 2nd Class

string6.jpg
Dry fitting the 1:st layer of CSM & the Roving

string8.jpg
wet

string7.jpg
No air, feels like a pretty good frame for a stringer.

string9.jpg
1:st layers done... Only one more "duo-layer" and then finishing it off with a layer of CSM making it a total of 5 layers. (450g CSM/ 300g ROVING/450g CSM/300g ROVING/450g CSM = total of 1950g/m2 glas)
I'll bet I can stand on-top of this, one foot with my 90kg's.

stringer10.jpg
Looking closely you can see the "attachment plates" towards the transom and how big they are.
All corners are cut to overlap each other and then it's "locked" with a plate of 450g CSM fitting over all that overlapping creating an "attachment plate."
Making sure I will get a very strong bond against the transom.
Since this is the first layer and I want all to overlap and attach to the hull I will do this first layer 2 inch shorter than the 2 layers to come. All overlapping.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

As always, Beautiful workmanship Zymox...you are a natural when it comes to fiberglassing...

zymox

Petty Officer 2nd Class

More progress, unfortunately my work claims a lot of time from me now so I can't work on the boat as much as I would like to.
But here it goes:

Rebuild/restored transom cap. It was crushed on the middle section so I had to redo this section completely.
I cut out the middle section and then rebuild it with a new laminate of approx. 10-12 layers of CSM and Roving in wrap-around to achieve the same thickness plus additional mm's to ensure it will be good to hold. The cut out also ensure that I have a very very snug fit to the trans in this part. Tested out one of the lips that was cut out in the cleaning and it holds more than 90kg's when standing on it between 2 heights. :eek::D The procedure I used was the same as if you are about to fix a hole. a lot of grinding in a low angle.
The new thickness on the motor mount 70mm.
TransCap.jpg

The back of the Cap. Done as the original except that I did let the holding screws stay in the laminate. Now when I think about it I think this is a stupid idea to do but not due to the work of taking them out some day because that is not going to happen but corrosion. I use stainless steel screws on all of the outside but they will oxidize in our saltwater and can perhaps make some trouble in the future.
A good cleaning is on order (my wife is far better on this than me) and then a good paint-job will make it shining again.
TransBack.jpg

The walls in place. A door is made and on hold. Steering wheel and a new seat for me is also on order.
Wall.jpg

The interior is done and waiting for a good cleaning and then some paint. Now it feels like I'm on the way...
Inter.jpg

A new question popped,
What is the best way or best stuff to use to clean all of the outside of the boat?
Obviously I want to put in as less effort as possible to do this since I hate that part :(

warnie100

Cadet

I was about to put my transom in to day but now I got a serious warp in the outer skin. I reinforced the corners all around last week where I took out some cracks and now when I clamped the middle section I saw that it will not straighten the skin enough, Especially from the draining hole and upwards, looks like it's a section around the hole thats way thicker than the rest of the skin.
How do I proceed? I will try to support the hull from underneath and raise the middle section some but I don't know if this will be enough.
It wasn't like this when I pulled the old wood out.
warped.jpg

great job your doing i am doing one similar in ozland what do you mean by 6kg sticky and pb please i want to do mine as good as yours

zymox

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hello warnie100

The problem I had in that picture was that when I pulled the old transom-core out I didn't support the hull good enough causing it all to bend inwards making the transom skin to warp inwards. I had to rise it a bit underneath to make it as strait as possible again.

The meaning of the 6kg's is that it took me 6kg of pb-mix to totally cover the transom-skin & the transom-core with a pretty thick layer that acts like a glue between the skin and the core. I mix my pb with talc instead of cabosil because of the ridiculous high price of cabosil/aerosil here in Sweden. The downside with talc is that it's a lot heavier and acts more "dead" when working with it.
I can't remember 100% but i will recall I used something like about 2 kg of talc to 4 kg of polyresins in that mix (looks like a 50/50 by size) and the widest putty knife I could found.

For this particular part of the job I did it like this, 1:st a really really good cleaning with 40grit angle-grinding (ruff and scuff) and then a lot of acetone to clean both surfaces, then i did a mix of 4 kg of polyresins, 12 tablespoons of 1/4" inch long chopped csm single fibers and only 1% hardener because it will cure faster when you have it all mixed. After the hardener is really well mixed in I add the talc until I have something that looks like peanut butter (pb) and then I used a tip from woodonglass here on the forum and did it pretty much as he told me.

"If she were mine I'd be troweling on some PB to smooth out that outer skin. Once it was smooth and hard, I would trowel the Peanut Butter onto the skin and the transom approximately 1/4" thick. this will yield 1/2" of PB use the clamps to apply Medium pressure, enuf for the PB to squeeze out around all the edges and fillet the edges. As for fabricating the transom, I'd put it back exactly like I found it."

Look at this video from friscoboater, It's how to mix the pb and what it's supposed to look like.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3kmr9ZctUo

I also used a stirring tool for cement that is attachable to a power drill to mix it because 6kg of this stuff will kill your arms if you don't looks like the "Hulk" and need a good workout.
VT-5690.jpg

I hope this will help you a bit.
My work will take all my time for now but I check out the forum as often as I can and I will answer you as soon as I can.

If I can't answer as fast as you like, I gets all my answers from this guys here on the forum - GT1000000, ondarvr, Oops!, Woodonglass. They are the pros for me and have done a tremendous job with all my questions. I usually don't recommend anyone to contact someone else without asking them but please do. They are the greatest. Also oops! have a really long thread that you should read. It will pretty much tell you all you need to know on how to build a boat.http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=234392

warnie100

Cadet

thanks xymox much appreciated will do as you said and hope it comes up as good as yours cheers and thanks again

zymox

Petty Officer 2nd Class

New update in pictures,

Got some work done this last week. The motor is mounted and it looks like a match to that boat.

IMG_20120521_204019 (640x480).jpgOnly a few hundred small stuff left to do :)
IMG_20120521_204033 (640x480).jpgNice
IMG_20120521_204057 (480x640).jpgPerfect match & solid as a rock. Thanks all good ppl. helping me out.
IMG_20120521_204109 (480x640).jpgMaximum right
IMG_20120521_204130 (480x640).jpgMaximum left

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Well one things for sure...With the "Tank" of a transom that you built, that motor won't be ANY problem for her to handle. I agree with you, Look like they were made for each other.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Nice score on the engine, Z!

Looks right at home...boat's going to zip along the water...

Looking forward to "Splash Day"...

zymox

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You know,... this wouldn't be achievable without the help from you guys.
Thank you very much for all the effort you have stuck into me & my wifes project.

I don't really know how to thank you all ....

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Seeing her Splashed with you and Your First Mate on board with big smiles on your faces will be thanks enough!!!!;)

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

The huge grin on your face when you finally get this baby wet for the first time is payment enough for me...