More torque for my GMC Sierra 4.8?

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
@ MTboatguy - My response was not about the tuner but that my trucks transmission runs cooler in OD than 3 when towing my SeaRay. When I first got it I watched the trans temp drop almost 15 degrees going from 3 to D running dow the interstate. Best thing you can have on any tow vehicle is a trans temp gage.

Again to the OP, put a trans. temp. gage in the truck. Especially towing with those big tires. Maybe it will run cooler racing the engine in 2nd but you'll know for sure with a gage.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
@ MTboatguy - My response was not about the tuner but that my trucks transmission runs cooler in OD than 3 when towing my SeaRay.
That is very possible if the torque convertor gets locked out in OD but that is not what we were talking about. You said racing the engine in second gear would make the tranny run hotter and that is not the case.

I have his truck but with a 5.3L and I had a factory tran gauge added to my dash cluster.

Last edited:

SDSeville

Lieutenant
as for stock parts long gone.... put an add on craigslist.... someone will gladly pay labor at a shop of your choosing to have your lift put on their truck and yours returned to stock with their parts and trading your tires for stockers in better shape would be even easier

OK. You got me. I guess I still kind of like the lift and the tires. I have just been using the excuse that I did it when I was younger. Although I will be going from 315s to 285s or 305s when these wear out -- probably by next summer.

Will probably give it to my boy when he turns 16 in a couple years and then buy myself something stock height with a bigger engine.

Last edited:

SDSeville

Lieutenant
Have you checked with a performance shop to see what they would suggest? There are lots of little tuning tricks now a days that can boost performance for towing or cruising, they may be able to profile your ECM to meet your specific needs.

The performance shops have been suggesting tuners. I will look into them a little further. Can anyone suggest one?

I will surely get one of those scanners that plugs into the OBD II port so I can keep an eye on my tranny temp -- as Bruce suggests. I have seen a few that are pretty reasonable.

I only have a couple long trips left this summer. The rest are within an hour of the house.

Last edited:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
If you go to a tire shop they'll suggest tires and if you go to a dealership they'll suggest a new truck.... I suppose Paxton would suggest a supercharger too...... Hmmmmmm since we're spending YOUR money I'll agree with Paxton .... :lol:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I have a 91 F350 with 36 inch tires on it, runs great, has a 460, 5 speed manual and 4:11 gears, will take you anywhere you want to go, but I would not try and tow my 5th wheel trailer with it, just not set up to do it, but it is a lot of fun in the mud.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Every bone yard in the country will have wrecked trucks to provide the parts you need to put yours back stock -- unless a gas axe was used in your conversion.

UncleWillie

Captain
It was the 35" tires.:D

It was the truck doing 15 mph when tow strap finally snapped tight.
Pulling power had little to do with this demonstration.
If that strap had snapped, or they had it attached to the wrong tow points, it would have been a very different video!

zealer

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I work at a speedshop (parts). IMO, there isn't much you can do to upgrade that engine. Sure, you can get a tuner, but IMO, for gas engines they don't do much. Maybe you'll grab an extra 10-15HP, but this usually comes at the top end.

Downshift when needed. Whats the red line on that thing? I think it is pretty high, round 6000?

Last edited:

SDSeville

Lieutenant
I work at a speedshop (parts). IMO, there isn't much you can do to upgrade that engine. Sure, you can get a tuner, but IMO, for gas engines they don't do much. Maybe you'll grab an extra 10-15HP, but this usually comes at the top end.

Downshift when needed. Whats the red line on that thing? I think it is pretty high, round 6000?

Yeah, certainly not looking for more top end. I will just save my money and downshift as needed. I can't find the exact number, but I believe the red line is around 6000. Keeping it at or below 4000 on the long steep hills will keep me moving just fine.