Monterey Montura Newbie - need help

Montura newbie

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Monterey Montura Newbie - need help

Gotcha, I will guess I have 2 different sizes therefore the 2 separate links? I will have the housing off here shortly so Im sure it will make more sense. How do you suggest glue(ING) the front bearing, or clipping for that matter. Whichever my be easier, or more worthwhile.

Thanks
djh

Last edited:

zool

Captain

The gluing , I suppose is his way of making sure the seal holds in place when adding grease...I guess its a good Idea to ad a drop or two of an adhesive, maybe gorilla glue or whatever....The last member on here I helped with the PDS didn't bother gluing, IIRC....we has other issues as it appeared the factory had the rear seal reversed, so he was reluctant to put it back as the manual states....

Yes, two different bearings, the prices are much better than VP, especially that euro site, I just posted that for P/N's and the schematic..Ive never bought from them..

Montura newbie

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yeah, I'm trying to find a site that is a one stop shop. Iboats did not have the quantities I needed and a couple things were not in stock. I tried my fav Amazon and it seems that parts are too specific for that. The Euro site was easy just click and add; but the shipping is outrageous. I may also call iboats store and see if a person would be able to be more help. Bob Bradley's Marine is here locally; I'm going there on Monday to check that out. I have my detailed list of "everything" as if there were such a thing. Work, kids, life, and parts are going to be a bit of a hold up for a couple days. Main goal for tomorrow is cleaning again, more, and make another list for the more cosmetic aspects. I would like to get the windshield mocked up, but we'll have to see if time allows. I have not looked for a radiator shop yet, but plan on that next week sometime. Only one question for tonight though... The tilt/trim piece I took out did not seem to have any sort of gasket; should there be one?

zool

Captain

For mounting it, it looks like you need one gasket, about 2 bux

Mechanical Lifting Device Aq Drive Unit 270, 275a AQ125B - 7744630 - Volvo Penta

same part number for the 280

heres the euro site schematic

https://www.marinepartseurope.com/en/volvo-penta-explodedview-7742100-90-13933.aspx

p/n 853936

looks like you may be able to get all of what you need from here, with free shipping over $99

http://www.volvopentastore.com/Conn...on_id.152889532--store_id.366--view_id.768926

Last edited:

Montura newbie

Petty Officer 3rd Class

wasn't planning on this quite yet, and I forgot to take pics of the install. I couldn't pass up the deal.

Very slow process getting everything cleaned up.

Lots of boring pictures of how things came apart in between all that so I have good reference on how to put it back together. I placed the initial parts order, half from MarinePowersports.com and the other half from Amazon. Marine Powersports had everything I ordered in stock and the quantities needed. I also got the bearings there because the guy was so helpful just an FYI. If there are certain pictures anyone is looking for I can take them and post them. With the bimini and the 2 orders just over 300; I am now in for the first 1000.00 of the 3000.00 budget. So far so good in my opinion.

As things become clean I will post some before and after pics.

Montura newbie

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Tomorrow I will be making a drive stand and taking apart the "flying nun" and getting it all cleaned up and the transom shield will get its final cleaning. Painting has become a debate with myself as there are still a couple of ghosts. IE. I may have a submarine here; and the engine has not been turned yet. I may spark it tomorrow just to see what happens. If I do; what is the process for doing so... I know I need a gas can, battery, and my garden hose. Any helpful hints on that process would help, if any of you guys have ever done it.

Montura newbie

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yuppers boys! That is duct tape! I wasn't sure if it was going to hold the way I wanted it to, I got scared and added the duct tape. Now its time to dismantle the flying nun as Zool refers it. It will also get wheels as soon as my battery gets a charge on it.

Last edited:

Montura newbie

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Alright guys, the flying nun has thrown a bit of a problem. Underneath the hydrofoil there are now 6 holes pictured below, what to do what to do???

AND, I need your help on this gasket. Where did I pull it off from??? Probably the first but not the last piece I won't remember, so help is appreciated. Thanks guys. (it was in my special sauce cleaning solution; when it when in it was goobered with grease if that helps.

Also made a couple improvements on the drive stand, my last scrap piece up front serves as a stop for the leg as well as keeping the top from stretching apart. Added the wheels and the last of my 3 inch wood screws. The 6 main pieces are 20" 2x4; the stability cross boards are 12" 1x4. (that is all the scrap I had) That puts the gap at 6" which seems to work just fine.

Last edited:

zool

Captain

Hmmm, what some people will do to a drive to put a pair of wing on it lol...I guess al the holes are for different mounting positions, shrug..

Its just the exhaust port area, so if youcan figure a way to fill them before painting, like with jb weld, or something less runny..you coud do away with it....then theres still the mysterious skeg plate..

Cant help on the gasket, but are those numbers along the edge?

Stand looks like its doing its job just fine ;)

Montura newbie

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I think the gasket belongs to the steering knuckle, it just says volvo penta / made in sweden on the gasket itself. Whoever put this together must have gotten a special deal with silicon sealer; it is everywhere. I can't get the drain plug or the dipstick out yet. As for the holes; can I just leave em?
Here is the pics of the as clean as its gonna get transom shield.

OK fine I'll pull the goofy skeg plate off... Here it goes.

Last edited:

Montura newbie

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Here is the removed skeg plate; by the way WTF is a skeg plate for? More holes, I may just leave it if there is no real effect.

zool

Captain

The skeg is like the rudder, to help steer the boat. Yours has either been dragging ramps, or the bottom...The wings I imagine help keep the bow down on plane....You can just paint the drive and put both back on, I don't think it will hurt much, but may improve performance.

Your transom shield is in great shape, almost doesn't warrant refinish...

Montura newbie

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I am going to do a little more research and find out more about them. The bigger problem for me would be the holes; so I'll just knock down the surface on the lower unit and throw on some primer/paint combination and for tonight plan on putting them back on. Thats good news that the transom IYO looks good cuz thats what I thought. Everything is cleaning up slowly but well so I am pleased with the progress and what I am doing; of course with your help! I forgot my other truck had my tool bag in it, so I did not get to pulling the flywheel plate? to get a better idea of the bearings and so forth. I looked through the older posts and could not find the answer to the pressure plate black gasket re-use or replace. I did not order them, but certainly can if the answer is replace. Also, the transom gasket split; does it go on the top or the bottom when I re-install. I read some top and some bottom?? When you put them on what do you do. Your craftsmanship seems to be better then most factory fit and finish. Just a thought for you rather then keep fighting with the weather and elements; wouldn't another out building on your property make sense? You could call it the "Harbor House":)

zool

Captain

The sealing ring split goes on top, above the water line, which makes sense....you can seal the joint with liquid electrical tape..

My theory on gaskets is, if in doubt, replace it, especially if its in a place that not easily accessible later...

I can find space in a building, just don't have a trailer big enough for the 10' beam and length...im stuck with it where it is :(.....and thanks for the compliments...im in the middle of a big project :eek: ;)

Montura newbie

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I saw and read the project; looks awesome. I can see where this get addicting, its a being fun so far. When I get frustrated, I just take a break.

Montura newbie

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Holy cow, nothing to update. Everything has gotten in the way of our running start on this project. STILL waiting on a few things to come in. I was hoping to get the transom shield gaskets in first. LOL, six of the things that are still in route. Just wanted to post and say thanks again, and I hope to have some progress shortly to report and some photos of some progress on the "flyingnun".

Montura newbie

Petty Officer 3rd Class

OK guys, I am going to try and move forward late tonight and tomorrow with the install of the transom shield, exhaust, and put the drive in to do some testing of the tilt/trim, steering. My question for today is what torque specs do I use for the transom shield or just a tight as my impact goes??? Any suggestions, things I should look for or look out for. My plan is the shield first, exhaust second, tilt/trim piece, and the steering piece inside the motor bay? Can I just hook up a battery charger, or be better off with getting a new battery. Keeping in mind; it may be another few weeks before the next step takes place after tonight.

zool

Captain

The exhaust Y gets 30 lb.ft

bbl

Montura newbie

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well its a good thing I asked, I would not have been in the same realm. Seems light to me; but I will certainly go with what you say for sure! I went to take a couple pictures and my phone died on me. So I will add some tomorrow and show the minimal progress. We did add a stainless steel bimini that currently has terrible 80's colors. One thing I noticed tonight that our trailer will have to be replaced with a longer bigger trailer. It rides too low in the *** end especially when I add the motor and drive; sucks but it is what it is. Zool if you run for boat president I will vote for you man!