Monterey 180 Edge Bowrider Bimini Top

85 Champ

Seaman Apprentice
Ive got a 2000 Monterey 180 Edge Bowrider with a convertible top like this the one in the picture. (thats not me in the pic, or my boat but this is exactly what my setup looks like).

2000 Monterey 2.jpg

I hate the convertible top for several reasons. I cant stand up and drive with the top up for one thing, which forces me to sit and look through the windsheild. And secondly I cant just leave the top up and put it back while out on the water because it doesnt have the supports to keep it up so it just falls down. That means I have to take it off and put it away everytime.. Its a real pain in the *****. Lastly, when its up and im parked there doesnt get a lot of breeze through the top because it is enclosed on the windsheild side. It becomes very sauna like underneath it in the boat during the heat of the day.

So...... Im looking for a bimini top for my boat! Yay! Any suggestions from those who have bought one in the past? Best material? Brand? Size and mounting location? The mounts for the top I have now are on the top/sides of the windsheild, but I would rather mount it outside the windsheild to the gunwhales because even with the top i have now the wind has in the past made my windsheild slide a little out whack. Ive noticed it at the door that leads thru the windsheild. It gets slightly out of whack and has to be reset properly in the rubber booties around the edges.

Thanks for any suggestions you guys have. Heres a link to the one i was eyeing earlier. http://biminitops.iboats.com/Bimini...ars)_ENDURATop-3657/251243/?*******=567944605

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral
Re: Monterey 180 Edge Bowrider Bimini Top

Ok, simple answer to the different materials is pretty easy, you get what you pay for, My Bimini is a Taylor made premium Bimini and it is now 13 yrs old, came with the boat, but its expensive.

I have a concern, you say your windshield moves/slides this is not good and you need to fix this, it is not uncommon for windshields to need to be tightened up to the fiberglass over time, simply remove the rubber trim at the bottom of the windshield frame and tighten the screws, if you strip the screw from the fiberglass you will need to drill through the glass and nut and bolt or another method, always use stainless hardware. My Bimini mounts to the windshield also, I would order a Bimini that mounts similar to your convertible top, Drilling more holes into the glass is just asking for trouble and most bimini's and convertible tops mount similarly anyway so its not a big deal. You can add "poles" to the rear of your bimini or convertible top to replace the rear strap, this allows you to leave the bimini up but stowed as well as replacing the rear strap.

Sunbrella is a no brainer to me.

Here are the rear brace kits I mentioned
http://www.iboats.com/Bimini-Top-Re...3353603--session_id.301136645--view_id.693701

aharper00

Seaman Apprentice

I'm in the same boat as you... literally (I have a new to me 2000 Monterey Edge 180 with that same crappy top)...
69165557.jpg

I put that top up last week when it was over 105* here... sauna doesn't begin to describe how it felt, terrible. And the only visibility is standing in the little opening by the bow window which kinda sucks to do. I looked around at bimini tops with supports and found them for around $400. If the temp is anything under 100* I kinda like having the top off so far so I haven't yet committed. Write back here with pics if you get something, I will buy something at some point and your input with the same boat will be helpful.

Thanks.

85 Champ

Seaman Apprentice

LippCJ7 - Thanks for the advice on the bimini. I hadnt thought about needing to purchase poles separately in order to keep the top upright when pulled back. As far as the windsheild goes the brackets are well secured, what happens is the rubber trim that surrounds the glass on the passenger side slips a little which causes the glass to shift some with it. Its never much, just enough to where the windsheild door closes a little tighter than usual. I think i will check it out though when i get home from work this weekend and have a little closer look at what is going on there. I did notice a little vibration sound coming from the top passenger side corner while on the lake last weekend. For some reason ever since i bought the boat I look at that mount on the windsheild and I think, why????

Aharper00- Your in the same boat as me. Thats awesome. It is identical to mine all the way around too! I love this boat. I've only had it for about 5 months now but its been flawless so far. Except the stupid convertible top thing. It seems no matter how much you clean the windsheild it only takes 10 minutes on the water before you start having to drive looking through water spots. I'm going to try to remember to post when i come to a decision on the top. I wonder if I did purchase a top that mounts to the gunwhales if it would still store in that nice little location behind the motor bay? Thats something else I need to think about.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

yeah I know you believe it feels tight but I assure you something is not right, either your boat has a weak backbone (not good) or more likely somewhere you have some loose mounting screws, the good part is tightening it back up is fairly easy and I hear that if you add 3m 5200 waterproof adhesive to the screws and then tighten them your problem should go away although I have not done this yet.

My last boat had a weak backbone otherwise known as rotted stringers and the walk through windshield is where you saw the effects constantly but I doubt this is your issue.

aharper00

Seaman Apprentice

The tight windshield is easy... Adjust the screws that hold it up near the opening. That will "push or pull" the window up or down slightly and adjust how tight it is.

Whe you get your new top get it tall enough to walk under and buy the $40 brace for the back of it. You can then keep the top up full time and not have to worry about removing to store, just leave it up but closed. Gotta think through your cover to do that, though. This will be especially important because the current top doesn't store while attached without being completely in the way... Bad design.

All I need now is water. Lakes are down 6' or so and I can't get off the launch. Boo

85 Champ

Seaman Apprentice

@aharper00, I finally ordered my new bimini from right here at the iboats website. Got the Sunbrella Material and the support posts as others had recommended. I got a great deal since it looks like iboats is liquidating this particular model. It seems like it was about half the price that it was over the summer AND free shipping! Woot!

aharper00

Seaman Apprentice

@aharper00, I finally ordered my new bimini from right here at the iboats website. Got the Sunbrella Material and the support posts as others had recommended. I got a great deal since it looks like iboats is liquidating this particular model. It seems like it was about half the price that it was over the summer AND free shipping! Woot!

What did you end up paying? I bought a new boat cover from this site and am pretty happy with fit and finish. If the bimini top is anything the same I'm sure it will be solid. What color did you go with?

85 Champ

Seaman Apprentice

It was around $250 i think w/ the sunbrella top in grey. Figured grey wouldn't get too hot and matched the carpet. Also got the upright supports but skipped on the stainless fittings. I have the boat in storage so I wont be installing the bimini until i pick it up and bring it home in a month or so. Looks like they sold out of most colors, all except black.