Modified 12hr Shifts

Stratosfied

Ensign
Does anyone work a modified 12hr shift? I currently work the 'Southern Swing', where we start on Graveyard for 7 nights, off 2 days, 3-11 for 7 days, off 1 day, and then 7 days of 7-3, and then off 4 days. <br /><br />There has been talk by HR to try to get us on the 'Modified 12' like alot of our other mills. <br /><br />If we were on the proposed shifts, this would be how it is for this month.<br />Off Mon-Wed, 8hr 3-11 Thurs and Fri,12hr nights Sat,Sun,&Mon,off Tues-Thurs,7-3 Fri,12hr days Sat&Sun. Off Mon, 12hr nights Tues &Weds, 11-7 Thurs&Fri.Off Sat&Sun,12hr days Mon-Wed, and 7-3 on Thurs.Off Fri-Wed, and Start 3-11On Thurs. (Start the whole thing over again)<br /><br />The advantage I see is off 2 Weekends a month where we only have one now. Work 16 days in 28 instead of 21 like now. The most hours in a week are 44. The hours in a month are the same, 168.<br /><br />I am willing to try this as I hate 3-11 and this would cut it from 7 days to only 2. I was curious if any of you had any experience/comments on a schedule like this. Thanks!

Cranky18

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Modified 12hr Shifts

Stratosfied, How do you handle the shift you are working now? I worked that same shift for about 3 years (several years ago) and it drove me insane. I was a walking zombie, never could adjust to the sleep pattern, depression, and got sick a lot more than normal. I got "walking pneumonia" the last year I was there and could not get over it. My doctor told me to change jobs. I suppose if you are able to adjust and sleep well you could handle it. Is this the norm for the industry you work in? Why do they not go to a compressed shift where you have people on the same shift all the time. I am just curious as I never did understand why they do these rotating shifts. I had never heard it called "Southern Swing", that's interesting. This must be more prevalent than I thought.

ALAG3

Seaman

I think there are actually studies that show that shift is detrimental to your health....I am surprised to see it is still being used!

Stratosfied

Ensign

We are one of only a few who still use this shift in the paper industry. I have been on this rotation for 15+ yrs and 3-11 is the shift I have trouble with. Seems like it takes all day and half the night to make that shift. The problem we have now is that we roll backwards, that is 11-7, then 3-11, then 7-3. FIL used to work this along time ago and they started to roll forward, that is,7-3, then 3-11, and worked off on 11-7. They liked it better and took about 2 mths for all to get used to it. <br /><br />Most Papermills now are on 12 shifts. Most are off everyother weekend and are off 7 days in a row once a month. On a true 12 rotation, you eliminate the 3-11, which would be a good thing for me and all the folks with children still at home.

jt57

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think there are actually studies that show that shift is detrimental to your health....I am surprised to see it is still being used!
I worked shift work for over 25years ,and studies have shown,that shift work can shorten a person's life.<br />As for still using it,kinda hard to get away from it ,when the plant operates 24/7/365.<br />We worked 12 hr rotating shifts,from 7am -7pm or 7pm -7am.Four on 7p-7a then three off,then three on 7a-7p,then one off then three on 7p-7a,then three off,then four on 7a-7p,then seven off.loved that 7 off,only worked 14 days a month,but it took the whole month to do it.<br />I have always said if your going to work shift work 12 hr shifts are the way to go.

Holdimhook

Chief Petty Officer

Stratos, I believe that modified 12hr shift is the one we used to call the "mad dog" shift. The upside is 16 out of every 28 and the 2 weekends per month. The downside is that it has you so screwed up that you don't even know what day it is.JMO

D

DJ

This is a smart A$$ remark, but twelve hours to me is: HALF DAYS.<br /><br />I'm frequently asked if: "That's it".

NYMINUTE

Captain

I worked too many 12 hours shifts, there are no really good ones, and I think the wage laws should ban them. The quality of the time off after 12 hours is low. But with the lack of jobs left here in the US we all would probably agree to work 16, to make a living.

FSHKPR

Ensign

i worked southern swing for about 10 years and i hated. we finally got a 12 hour schedule in and i loved it. in fact i had a chance to go to a day job for many years before i finally did it. just did want to give up the days off. we had the 4 on 4 off schedule and it seemed to be the easiest to get used to. we would work 2- 12 hour days then you get a 24 hour break and work 2- 12 hour nights then have the next 4 days off. the only problem i had was the firs day off always came after a night shift. still it was alot of time off.and i really liked it. you still end up with more weekends off than you do on southern swing too. now people say its only 2 nights i can make that no problem. and you can the problem was they come around every 8 days. and that is what ultimatly made me sign the day job. just got sick of the night shifts. but i sure do miss the 4 days off.

Twidget

Commander

I worked varied shifts for years. I hated it. I would rather work the night version all the time and let my body adapt to that time frame. The rotation just keeps your body clock screwed up.

Stratosfied

Ensign

Thanks for all the replies. Holdim, that is kinda what I thought about the schedule, that your body would be confused all the time. I have the seniority to bump a man for a straight day job, the downside is about $750.00 mth, so with me trying to raise the family, I cann't do that now. <br /><br />We have had talks of going to a pure 12 hr shift before. The company agreed but wanted us to give up our wage increase for that year due to the fact that we would have 8 extra hrs OT each month. Our contract now states over 8= OT. I feel like this is their way of trying to get us for over 40 to be OT. <br /><br />Like it is now, and I don't consider myself old and like to think that I am in fair shape, but when I get my weekend off, we have just worked 14 days out of 15, I am so give out that on Sat., I just want to lay around the house. It takes me to about Monday before I feel like really going and then I'm looking at starting over on Weds. night.