Model number angst apology

pilty

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Model number angst apology

But it's only 7:15am here and it's COLD out there!!!!

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

In the second pic, the one viewing the engine from the rear, I can clearly see the welch plug on the port side right over the head. The model number should be stamped on that plug. When you get warm, take a look...d:)

pilty

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok, so what is a Welch plug? The red plate on the back gives the model number as 6CB2009! I have found this referenced on several sites as a 1968 model number for the engine. I can't seem to find any other information though.

pilty

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I just took another look at the motor and found that it is a VXL-14B. Pics to come as soon as I've seen if it will start. Man! I feel like a kid on Christmas morning!!!!

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

The welch plug or core plug is about the size of a quarter, is silver colored. Pre-90' engines have them with the model number and serial number stamped in them. Was another place to find the numbers aside from the usual metal tagged fixed to the transom bracket. I say pre-90 engines because after 90', I think that's the year, may be later, only the serial number was stamped in the plug.

pilty

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I expected the number to be on the plate affixed to the engine itself. It is on a plate on the bracket though. Now that I know the correct number I'll need to find out more about it. Any suggestions as to a place where I can get some info on fluid levels and the like?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Yep....right here. Just post what ya' need to know.

pilty

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I've put the lower motor into a water barrel. Found that the fuel pipe is rotted through and need to find a place open on Sundays to get a new pipe and bulb. The motor clicks when I turn the key but nothing else. Starter doesn't seem to be engaging either. Battery on charge and I'm off on an odyssey to find some pipe. Will keep you all up to speed!

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

pilty....(hey, post your name....it's OK...we can keep a secret...d:)... some things need consideration before you decide to crank it up.

Look in the FAQ section and find "Awakening A Sleeping Outboard". Read it. Really a good article that points you in the right direction.

Here's the link.

http://forums.iboats.com/bbBoard.cgi?a=viewthread;fid=36;gtid=1035575

pilty

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I read the article at about 6AM this morning. My name is Chris as in Christopher Seymour. It's splattered all over my website so it's no secret LMAO. I took the plugs out this morning and they are L-67V. The site that I checked out for plugs says that these are not the correct ones. Do you think I should replace them with the suggested L77JC4 or 5828 plugs? Anyone wanna visit Alabama and work on a REALLY old engine?

pilty

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'm glad that I'm not on the water yet 'cause, I think I'm a little out of my depth. Good job that I don't give up easily! Any suggestions of what oil to use? Just chip in with any advice that you think I may need. I'll read it all. Knowledge is power after all and, until I get the motor running, that's the only power I'm gonna have :).

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Yes, replace the plugs with L77JC4 or QL77JC4. It'll run much better than the surface gap plugs originally recommended. The Q means a built in inductive suppressor to prevent radio noise.

Sorry, I'm in Florida

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Oil for the fuel mix should be any outboard oil that is NMMA certified for service TC-W3. Mix it 50:1, which is a pint to 6 gallons of gas

The lower unit takes BRP (OMC) Premium Blend.

pilty

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Is either of the plug types better than the other?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Sorry, error made. I forgot what motor we are talking about. You can use any good quality 80-90 gear oil in the lower. WalMart has that.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Either of the L77JC4 plugs mentioned is just fine, but one is "noisier" than the other, meaning static on a radio or depth finders and such.

pilty

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Walmart sounds like a plan when concidering my budget. I don't have one! (Budget that is). I'll have to come up with a name for this project like, "Boating by the bootlaces", or "Project floater"!

pilty

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If I turn the key the motor clicks. The starter doesn't turn. If I wire the starter straight to the battery it turns but doesn't engage the flywheel. The pinion gear on the top of the motor seems to move freely in both directions(turns and moves up and down). Any suggestions anybody? I'm kinda fixing problems as I find em. I just bought new plugs and a new fuel line/bulb. Fuel tank is in good condition. Engine looks clean and no oil leaks etc.