missing spring in fuel pump?

6228SH

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Gentlemen,I am agian in need of help.I bought a fuel pump kit for my 1962 28HP sea horse.upon taking apart the fuel pump,I found it had been assembled way differant from what my clymer manual shows-I found a spring and cup placed over the check valve furthest away from the air vent,and a cup wedged in place sideways covering no spring,as if it was tossed in and the cover tightened down...the book shows the "longer "spring and cup placed over a post between the check valves so I put the spring I do have there.it shows a second "short" spring placed in the hole in the other side of the casting that the vacuum line hooks up.wear marks on the diaphram show this was likely once the way it was assembled.I dug around my stuff and found a spring that fit nicely and seemed about the right length(somewhat close to overall length as the other once in position)-if anything it felt way weaker than the other;so I stuck it together like that to see what happened.it is not pumping gas this way.can someone familiar with this fuel pump please tell me the way it is supposed to be?