missing skeg on alpha one...thoughts?

matth121

Petty Officer 1st Class
hey guys. so after bringing my friends boat back to life after a partial submersion in rain water which took out his starter, alternator, bilge blower and taking care of a few other things including a new 4 blade prop, he decided to take a few of us out for a day of boating. had a blast, boat was working great, then, disaster. my friend decides to make a large sweeping turn and starts it by pointing into the shore. i screamed but it was too late, since by then we had mangled his new prop. We spent the next hour limping back up the river and luckily were able to take it to a relatives place where we could safely leave the boat for the night since by then it was getting dark. next day we put his old prop on and took the boat back to his place about 15 miles upriver. While changing the prop i reached down to feel the skeg to see if it was bent, it wasn't, it was in fact gone- sheared right off in a clean break. The boat does seem to be working fine though. on the way home we hit 43mph heading at around 4700rpm heading into a stiff headwind. so, boat seems to be ok. what should he do? fix it or run it as is. i dont think, well i know theres not enough material for one of those skeg repair things you epoxy onto the damaged skeg.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Well, as I understand it, the primary purpose is to help protect the prop. It is up to him as to what to do of course. I guess I would at least see what it would cost to weld on a new skeg.

ziggy

Admiral
yep, thats the way i get it too. the skeg is a prop protector mostly. i suppose at low speed and coasting into dock it may have minor directional control help also.
imho,
as far as repair goes. it might depend on the condition of the boat. on mine for instance. i think i'd likely not do anything, something else will break prior to the lack of a skeg causing me issue.
i would stay away from the rocks in the future though... ;)

thumpar

Admiral
A good prop shop can weld a new one on. Make sure you find one with experience because the heat can damage the seals if they get too hot.

boattoy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i forget where my buddy bought it from but this company sells weld on skegs. you basically cut to fit the contour of whats left of the skeg. I welded it on last year. no issues or leaks and it was pretty much gone before.

500dollar744ti

Senior Chief Petty Officer
My outdrive is missing most of the skeg, I don't really notice any difference. I bought the lower unit for $75 and I can't complain.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
Check to make sure the prop axle shaft is no bent too...spin the prop and focus on the center nut. In the center of the shaft is a small milled circle...see if that circle wobbles when spun...if so u got bigger problems than the skeg being tore off..if thats ok fix the skeg. Or the new lower unit will come w one..;)

matth121

Petty Officer 1st Class
no bent prop shaft- lucky there i guess. I'll let him know his options but i'd say he'll run the rest of this year without it. so a weld on skeg? i kinda thought based on the way it broke that this part is cast...is that not the case? welding cast metals is hard to do is it not? thanks for the thoughts guys

DaveG55

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No, it's not hard to do if you have the equipment, knowledge and skills to weld aluminum. The new, weld on, sjegs are not hard to find and not too expensive.
In addition to the prop shaft iI'd make very sure the rest of the lower case did not get a crack. That aluminum is kinda brittle and if you get water intrusion you/he will quickly trash the entire outdrive, not just the lower.

matth121

Petty Officer 1st Class
it all looks good but a gear oil change is due since i have no idea when he last had it done,probably not in the 3 years he's owned it. will run it a few more times and check to make sure no water in it. Can a lower shell be purchased and just transfer the gears and what not over or is it a complete unit only kinda deal.

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant
Did you guys happen to change out the impeller in the lower unit? If not it needs replaced ASAP...... They sell a bolt on type skeg...but you have to drill holes in your lower unit.
Change out the impller and put new drive gear lube in.

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant
Did you guys happen to change out the impeller in the lower unit? If not it needs replaced ASAP...... They sell a bolt on type skeg...but you have to drill holes in your lower unit. I welded a new skeg on my lower last year. Can be done like others have said...but by someone that knows what they are doing!

Change out the impller and put new drive gear lube in before your next outing.

matth121

Petty Officer 1st Class
impeller was done when his manifolds were replaced- same time he bought the boat. it really only has one season on it since the motor was partially submerged and didnt get repaired at all last season, there are no heat issues at all, it'll run 140 on the muffs all day long. will probably do that either end of season or before next season just as preventative maint.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
it all looks good but a gear oil change is due since i have no idea when he last had it done,probably not in the 3 years he's owned it. will run it a few more times and check to make sure no water in it. Can a lower shell be purchased and just transfer the gears and what not over or is it a complete unit only kinda deal.

lower unit is the whole deal....new skeg, prop shaft and gears... you can always look on CL for one too