Missing key, 1979 Mercury 70 hp outboard control

dorsett59

Seaman Apprentice
Hi, all.
I recently installed a 1979 Mercury 70hp outboard on my boat, but the guy who sold it to me did not have the key for the console ignition switch.
Does anyone know if these keys are specific to the lock, and where I could find one?
If they are specific to the lock, should I just go to Radio Shack and pick up a bag of switches to rewire the whole thing?
Thanks in advance

Droll

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Missing key, 1979 Mercury 70 hp outboard control

There should be a number stamped into the key-switch, take this number to a Mercury dealer and he should be able to provide you with the correct key .

OR you could replace the whole ignition key with a new one, just find a key switch thats compatible with your choke function AND ignition system ( needs to ground the kill wire when shout down )

Arne Kjetil

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

There are only about 10-12 different keys for all the Mercs. if you take your boat to a Merc Dealer, he can try them until he finds a fit. Alternatively, you can take the control it to him, to find the fit.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

There are only about 10-12 different keys for all the Mercs. if you take your boat to a Merc Dealer, he can try them until he finds a fit. Alternatively, you can take the control in to him, to find the fit.