Minnkota Powerdrive V2 Problem

RMB

Cadet
I have a Minnkota Powerdrive V2, 55 lbs thrust. Vintage is 2007, low hours. The auto pilot on it has stopped working. Everything else on the motor works fine. Tried it with two different batteries, same problem. You turn it on, and the motor consistently turns, and will not hold a straight line.

Is there any troubleshooting that I can do, or am I better off using it as an opportunity to upgrade to iPilot? (Not really in the budget to that right now, but I don't want to put much $$ in this motor either).

Thanks in advance.

Star

Chief Petty Officer
I have an older version of that motor that I have used for about 7 years. Last summer it exhibited the same rotation problem. I am not sure but I think it failed after having a trolling motor battery connection issue. I was not supplying a full 12 vdc to the motor. As the voltage goes down the current goes up in the circuit. If you have any experience with electrical stuff take the 4 Philips head screws under the head and remove your cover. You will find that the compass controller board with a blown up tiny capacitor or burned up parts. Take a picture of all connections. The board is about $70 and can be replaced in about 15 minutes. YOU MUST BE SURE TO GO OVER ALL BATTERY AND WIRE CONNECTIONS!!!! IT WILL BLOW THE NEW BOARD IF YOU DON"T. I will tell you though that Minny has very good support and installation instructions. The phone number is on a tag under the head but you will need the model number that is there also. .

Reactions: RMB