Minn Kota Traxxis 55 - Need mount ideas

REN3G8

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey guys, got an awesome deal on a barely used Traxxis 55, fit on the transom just fine, however... On the left, the mount gets in the way of the of what seems to be a steering shaft, when the motor turns right, the shaft moves to the left and hits the Trolling mount. On the right, there's the hydraulic hose that is not movable, however the proximity to the transom prevents the mount from fitting in there.

Pictures for an idea of what I mean...

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...ps1vk7p2oh.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...psezui4fd7.jpg

I've noticed some people make a custom wood mount for their canoes or small boats, was wondering if anyone has ever done this before but for a fiberglass boat.

thanks for any input.

Last edited:

fishrdan

Admiral
Looks to me that mounting it the TM in the splashwell is less than ideal. IE: the TM prop is going to hit the outboard's lower unit unless the outboard is trimmed up. Then you could bang into the outboard deploying/raising the TM, along with the other problems you've seen.

On my old glasser I made a TM mount out of a couple pieces of 6/4 white oak, main piece about 6"x16", then a spacer block 6"x8". Not the prettiest thing in the world, but worked great. I had made one out of redwood also (redwood-rot resistant), and it lasted until I forgot to raise the TM before motoring off, broke it in half. My current boat has a traditional kicker outboard mount that I put the TM on, when needed.

Jcris

Chief Petty Officer
That is problematic. How about a pic looking down on the splash well? That TM isn't very heavy so wood may work but a metal bracket of some type seems a more durable option. Are you opposed to drilling some mounting holes along the topside to mount a bracket? Not sure how that would work though. I'll google it and see what comes up
If you mount it far enough away from the main motor then getting to the control handle is gonna be a be-atch. Maybe figure out a way to extend that handle? Thinking out loud here, lol

Maybe something like this that you could mount somewhere in the splash well? You could mount a couple brackets and make the whole thing fairly easy to remove
Try googling trolling motor extension handle

Last edited:

REN3G8

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I noticed there were holes on the top that had been sealed before... maybe the original owner (I bought from the second owner I believe) might have had something bolted there at some point, I could re-use those holes.

However I was thinking of going to the side instead, something like this but lower and more fitting to a Fiberglass boat, lol.

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/290968...-1/s-l1000.jpg

The Traxxis handle is extendable so that might help a bit to keep it within reach.

Last edited:

fishrdan

Admiral
Mounting to the side will have the boat track horribly, too far off the centerline. Works OK for a canoe as it's not that far off the center line. Bow mounting close to the centerline like that would work OK, but I don't think that's what you're looking for.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I honestly can't say for sure because I never ever tried it, but what about mounting it on the engine itself with some clever brackets. That way you can steer it via the steering wheel. Just a thought. :noidea:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The splashwell is too narrow to clamp a TM there and clear the big motor. Look at getting a trolling motor transom mount or making one out of some aluminum angle and plate. Put the new mount on the port side far enough to clear the big motor at full right turn.

fishrdan

Admiral
What are your intentions for the TM, just to putt back to the dock if the engine dies, or fishing? If fishing, only to position boat or troll?

I'd mock up where you intend to put the TM, then see how convenient it is to operate from inside the boat. The deep splashwell will make it difficult to reach, turn left and right, even with the handle extended as you will need to reach over the splashwell. Also see how easy it is to deploy and raise from inside the boat.

REN3G8

Petty Officer 3rd Class
yeah just for fishing, no intention to use it for anything else unless of course like you said, the main engine died... was also thinking of maybe making an extension on the transom and see how that went. Looks like rain all weekend again, will keep looking for ideas in the meantime and hope for a good weekend to come and actually try something out.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
REN3G8, If fishing is the main usage, I too would suggest installing it at the bow. Pulling the boat alone is way better and easier then trying to push the boat alone with a trolling motor. Bow mounting will allow you to control boat position a heck of a lot better. You should rethink your options. JMHO

Jcris

Chief Petty Officer
I wonder if you can add foot pedal to that TM? Affordably that is

REN3G8

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The splashwell is too narrow to clamp a TM there and clear the big motor. Look at getting a trolling motor transom mount or making one out of some aluminum angle and plate. Put the new mount on the port side far enough to clear the big motor at full right turn.

I have access to Aluminum at work, and brakes as well... hmmm.

REN3G8

Petty Officer 3rd Class
REN3G8, If fishing is the main usage, I too would suggest installing it at the bow. Pulling the boat alone is way better and easier then trying to push the boat alone with a trolling motor. Bow mounting will allow you to control boat position a heck of a lot better. You should rethink your options. JMHO

yeah I thought about maybe cutting my losses (well probably can sell this for more than I got it) and just getting a front mount motor... I have a closed bow so I wonder if the pedal would reach in far... would probably have to drill through the top.

And you meantioned earlier about mounting it on the motor itself... I saw this, lol... only problem would be how to control the speed. :eek:

20131201_083200-1-1.jpg

fishrdan

Admiral
Closed bow creates issues, biggest would be deploying the TM if the windshield doesn't open. There are self deploy TM's, but they are expensive.

MinnKota PowerDrive TM's have a long cord on the foot pedal, 15' or so, and they also can have a wireless keyfob controller. I use the keyfob MK trolling with my 18' boat, works great as I can control the TM from anywhere in the boat

gm280

Supreme Mariner
yeah I thought about maybe cutting my losses (well probably can sell this for more than I got it) and just getting a front mount motor... I have a closed bow so I wonder if the pedal would reach in far... would probably have to drill through the top.

And you meantioned earlier about mounting it on the motor itself... I saw this, lol... only problem would be how to control the speed. :eek:

20131201_083200-1-1.jpg

Even with the trolling motor mount to the engine, you still have wires running the that motor. So you still can control the speed via those wires.

REN3G8

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I found them on the Minn Kota site... the come with speed controllers as well. Pretty cool.

REN3G8

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I might have to do a kicker mount instead... might do a custom one that attaches to the top of the boat, I thought about one of these but I'm concerned about drilling the into the transom to attach it, don't want to have water intrusion while floating... at least at the top I can silicone and know if it rains, water won't go through as easy.

$_27 (14).JPG

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I might have to do a kicker mount instead... might do a custom one that attaches to the top of the boat, I thought about one of these but I'm concerned about drilling the into the transom to attach it, don't want to have water intrusion while floating... at least at the top I can silicone and know if it rains, water won't go through as easy.

You could always make something like that that goes over the top of the transom and clamps down like a "C" clamp on the inside of the hull, like some smaller OB engines clamp on. That way you don't have to drill anything. But I would then remove it when not around the boat so it doesn't grow legs. :eek:

REN3G8

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey guys, I found a guy selling an Endura C2 mount, what are the chances of this fitting on a Traxxis motor??

$_27.JPG

Any Minn Kota experts? I'm assuming the shaft thickness might be different... but if it's not, this mount could squeeze by either side, maybe more on the right under the hoses.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
The only way to know for sure it your trolling motor will fit is to measure the both diameters and see OR try it. The long shaft that is mounted on that bracket now had to be installed show how. So see how it attaches and see if yours will attach the same. :noidea: