Minn Kota Riptide 80 ST/CP Battery Question??

tmyers921

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just bought a new trolling motor for my 19ft Bayliner 1901. Saltwater Minn Kota Riptide 80 ST/CP. Its a 24volt system.

My question?
What is the best Batterys to buy for this motor? Name Brand? Size? etc.

Last edited:

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Minn Kota Riptide 80 ST/CP Battery Question??

You can spend a lot of money for batteries or you can go to your local farm store (if there is one in your area) or auto store and buy group size 27 deep cycle batteries on sale for about $69 - $75 each. So the thickness of your wallet is priority #1. Priority #2 is the "capacity" of the battery which determines the run-time for the motor. The price you pay does NOT always guarantee more capacity and in fact it rarely does. So look for the highest "Reserve Capacity (expressed in minutes @ 25A load) or the highest AHr (amp/hour) rating on the battery when making your selection. While an expensive battery (high-tech) may have a slightly longer life-span than a less expensive battery that too is not for certain. Properly cared for and properly charged with a "smart charger" after each use, standard deep cycle batteries will last for many years. If you tend to buy new/different boats at five year intervals or less, there is no reason to send expensive batteries with the old boat.