Minn Kota, More Thrust? New Motor?

I have a 24v Minn Kota 55lb trolling motor, I found a 24v 80lb motor with a bad circuit board for a cheap price. could I just swap the electric motor head to convert my trolling motor to a 80lb thrust?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Minn Kota, More Thrust? New Motor?

How old are the two motors. Just because they are MinnKotas does not mean the parts will interchange. The 55# must be an older unit since 55# were generally 12 volts. Minnkota motors currently 55# and below are not even offered in 24 volt versions. The design of the circuit boards may not be compatable either. A call to Minnkota or one of their service centers would likely produce better and more accurate information.

Star

Chief Petty Officer

Hey Cj7,
These motors are very repairable. The board you need on the 80# motor may not be too much. You do have to make sure that there aren't other problems in the rest of the systems. Even if you you could swap motors, the 55# boards may not handle the added current of the 80# motor.

Thanks for the help guys.
The unit I have is a 2005 Minn Kota Engine Mount EM54 24V, the parts unit is a 2008 Max80 24v, Both units have variable speed control. I tried contacting Minn Kota but they just told me there is no direct replacement for my EM54, I?m a Millwright with access to lots of tools, so physically mounting the motor isn?t a issue. I guess I wasn?t sure if the EM54 electronics would run the 80lb motor.

Star

Chief Petty Officer

Can't you just fix the Max 80, that would be my choice.

Yes I can fix the Max80 but it?s a bow mount trolling motor and I have a Engine/Cavitation Plate Mount trolling motor that I want to upgrade.

Star

Chief Petty Officer

A bow mount is 4 times better in evey reguard. Pulling a boat gives you much better control, Whatever it takes to mount it it is worth it!!!

fishrdan

Admiral

The unit I have is a 2005 Minn Kota Engine Mount EM54 24V, the parts unit is a 2008 Max80 24v...............

Do some research and see if the controllers are the same, maybe, maybe not. MK could have used the same controller to save money, or could have built a higher current controller for the 80# motor. Check out fish307 for parts and schematics.

[EDIT, I didn't realize the Max 80 was a bow mount and you were trying to adapt it to the EM motor mount, using the 80's head mounted circuit board, or what ever you were tyrin' to cobble up there...]

Oh yeah, circuit boards are about $100.

fishrdan

Admiral

A bow mount is 4 times better in evey reguard.

Maybe...

For positioning I prefer a bow mount, but I don't like it for trolling. (I don't have $1000+ for an autopilot bow mount :rolleyes: though it would be sweat to have one.) I can troll through 3-4' waves with my 70# transom mount, where a bow mount would be sucking air and popping out of the water, especially with the attitude of the boat and bow high in the air.