Mid 80's Johnson 70

wellcraft26

Seaman Apprentice
Hi guys, I have a VRO problem. I have a mid 80's(I think), is a Johnson 70hp and the VRO was disconnected many years ago and now the fuel pump is leaking very bad due to a crack in the housing. I spoke to a mechanic and he gave me the part number 438556 (sierra part # 18-7352) I ordered but this pump is for smaller engines, between 25 to 55hp and it only has an inlet and outlet (two hose nipples), there's no way to connect the valve from the block of the engine.
I need a replacement part # (prefer not to be OEM, is too expensive) with something I can be able to connect the valve too like three hose nipples.

I just want to use a regular fuel pump not a $250 + pump.

Do I need a regular pump with 2 openings and seal the outlet from the block or do I need a fuel pump with 3 openings. I don't have a local dealer so I don't know what else to do and I want to fix this soon.

Which could be the part number I need , I preffer sierrra if possible.

All the help I can get will be greatly appreciated .

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:

rabeck5792

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Mid 80's Johnson 70

2 ways to go.if your block has a mounting surface for a regular fuel pump,you can use fuel pump off of mid 80,s 65 hp or old style fuel pump like there was on a 1969 60 hp,which will require a bracket to mount it on & some enginuity. you can call me for help at 830 305 1269. rick

wellcraft26

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the help, my son had a great idea of putting my cel into the water. I like your idea, if you want email me at jraboat@hotmail.com. I just found this 2 pumps http://www.ishopmarine.com/ishop/js...CatFilter=BRP&eCatSupFldr=supplier-100-005-EJ

and this sierra but is rated for engines between 20 and 30 hp. http://www.marineparts.com/sierra/sierra157.aspx

Thanks a lot, I'm desperate to fix the boat, it's been like this for many years.

2 ways to go.if your block has a mounting surface for a regular fuel pump,you can use fuel pump off of mid 80,s 65 hp or old style fuel pump like there was on a 1969 60 hp,which will require a bracket to mount it on & some enginuity. you can call me for help at 830 305 1269. rick

wellcraft26

Seaman Apprentice

Could someone please help? This is frustrating, I been trying to get a part number on different places of a fuel pump that works with my application and I can't find anything. I don't what to buy something that doesn't work because I'm not going to be able to return it. I would like to have the boat ready for my sons birthday because he is been wanting this boat for several years and now is a good time and age to give it to him.

Could someone please provide me with a part number that works, this is very important to me. I need to have the boat running for his birthday this weekend.

I don't have a local Johnson dealer or shop and I honestly don't know what else to do.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Hi Wellcraft,
I would not use either of those pumps. They will not easily bolt up to your motor and they are both 40+ years old - very old style pump....
- Scott

BJBUSYBOY

Cadet

Save some $$$$ and JB weld the crack!!! It works everytime, just make sure you clean any gas/oil residue and scratch, sand or scuff the area to be repaired with some fine grit sand paper. MAKE SURE YOU ALLOW 24 HOURS FOR THE JB WELD TO CURE OR YOUR LEAK WILL COME BACK!!! Hope this helps!!

wellcraft26

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks you sir for your advice, I didn't know they were so old. My local WM store has this pump available in the store but I'm not sure if it will work because is rated for engines between 20 and 30 hp's and I don't know what else to look for.

http://www.iboats.com/Sierra_18_7353_Fuel_Pump/dm/view_id.174138

Hi Wellcraft,
I would not use either of those pumps. They will not easily bolt up to your motor and they are both 40+ years old - very old style pump....
- Scott

wellcraft26

Seaman Apprentice

I thought about doing that but is crack real bad and in several places. I'm a JB weld fanatic, everything that is fixable I fix it with JB weld. I fixed an impeller from the water pump of my pool and I thought it wasn't going to work and thanks fully is still running strong. Is a 10 year old pump and we couldn't find a replacement, the only choice was to buy a new water pump, about $300 and it was fixed with $5

Any way thanks for the help, I really appreciate.

Save some $$$$ and JB weld the crack!!! It works every time, just make sure you clean any gas/oil residue and scratch, sand or scuff the area to be repaired with some fine grit sand paper. MAKE SURE YOU ALLOW 24 HOURS FOR THE JB WELD TO CURE OR YOUR LEAK WILL COME BACK!!! Hope this helps!!