MFG trihull restore or trash?

Bass-A-Holic

Petty Officer 2nd Class
One of me and my dad's co-workers has a MFG trihull that i believe is about 15-16 ft and has an open bow. The story is that they were cruising in Muskegen lake and hit a submerged pileing w/ the lower unit and totaled the motor. Already this guy desided that he would convert the thing from a counsel to a tiller steer so it is all ripped up- no steering no seats in back and other mess up stuff. I believe the hull is in good shape and I am thinking about restoring it but am wondering about any basic info on the boat and the brand. After googleing it think it is a MFG gypsy. heres a link for a picture that i believe is simalar to the boat im looking at.

http://www.harborrec.com/CurrentPics/C8298.html

Sry about the about all the posts trying to decide b/w this and a mini hydro, really need a project for the winter.
thanks.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Re: MFG trihull restore or trash?

MFG enjoys a good reputation for making solid hull boats. Thats why so many are still around today (like mine, for example). Unfortunatelly, 70's and 80's MFG's suffer from rotted stringers and transoms just like most other boats from that era. Some were made with all glass stringers, but I don't believe that model was one of them.

Go to fiberglassics.com and look up mfg in the gallery and you will find a site with almost all the original sales brochures scanned in. Great for identification.

If the boat has been gutted, and you can get it for free, it would make a great project. Pull up the floor and inspect the stringers. Find a good used outboard, new controls, polish up the gel coat and you can have a classic ride for a reasonable investment. Certianly for less than the price of a new bow rider.

Bass-A-Holic

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: MFG trihull restore or trash?

Thats the real reason i was looking at it was because i could get if for free, because one of our truck drivers bought is for the trailer and was thinking of trashing to boat. so i will check the site and see what the stringers look like, and if they are bad then i will put a duck blind and a transom mount troller on it and use it as a blind in a friends 10 acre private lake. but if the stringers are ok, then i will restore it.