Metal Hose Clamps

Puncheon50

Seaman Apprentice
I Bought a barn find Starcraft SS16 with a 1981 Johnson on it. Carbs looked like the fuel lines had deteriorated and clogged up the carbs. I went to the local auto parts store and got 3/8 fuel line hose and replaced the fuel lines. Only problem is I could not get the Zip Ties tight enough around the 3 way hose conectors. I tried 3 different sizes and even tried to double up ties but on the 3 way connections, just would not hold gas. The newer fuel line looks tougher and not as flexible as the older material. Anyway, I put 6 o ring style metal hose clamps on there and that did the trick. Motor is running like a dream but now I have this anxiety that there is a reason metal hose clamps aren't used . A couple of them touch the starter. Is there a chance of electricity y making the jump, and is it ok to use the standard fuel lines purchased from an auto parts store.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
There is a special tie for fuel lines...
[h=2]Fuel Hose Zip Ties[/h]
8InchBagTN.jpg
pixel.gif
The most common size of Fuel Hose Zip Ties used on boats, PWC, ATV, lawn mowers, small engines.​
Legal Disclaimer SPECS: Length: 8 inches
Quantity: 100
Tensile: 60 lbs
Width: .185
Temp -35°F to 255°F (-37°C To 124°C)
Clamping Range:
1/4in O.D. (5mm) To 1 3/4in (44mm)

[h=2]Miniature Fuel Hose Zip Ties[/h]
4InchBagTN.jpg
pixel.gif
Miniature Fuel Hose Zip Ties used on string-trimmers, chainsaws, RC-aircraft, RC-boats.​
Legal Disclaimer SPECS: Length: 4 inches
Quantity: 100
Tensile: 20 lbs
Width: .100
Temp -35°F to 255°F (-37°C To 124°C)
Clamping Range:
3/16in (4mm) & smaller

problem.png
The problem with normal square headed zip ties is they leave a gap, which causes a pinch making leak paths form.​
solution.png
Fuel Hose Zip Ties provide gap free clamping of hoses, tubing and lines. Eliminating leak paths and preventing leaks​

Fuel Hose Zip Ties effectively seal fuel, water, air, and vacuum hose. By eliminating leak paths that form when coverage gaps are present.
animatedziptievert.gif
Radius Head of Fuel Hose Zip TieFuel Hose Zip Ties are inexpensive very easy to install and provide Safe, Tight, Durable, Gap Free Connections. They can be used on Low Pressure fuel, water, air, and vacuum applications. Fuel Hose Zip Ties have good chemical resistance won’t rust or corrode and can be used in submerged applications. Mechanics, Professionals, Amateurs, OEMs, Enthusiast use fuel Hose Zip Ties, on marine, small engine, power sports, automotive applications. Fuel Hose Zip Ties replace hose clamps; hose clips UK, Regular Zip Ties

gm280

Supreme Mariner
They also make a wire tie gun tool that exerts way more pressure on the zip ties they you usually can. Not very expensive. Look into one.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
They also make tools that cut the excess off without leaving a protrusion that will cut you open better than a scalpel