metal flake gelcoat repair

gdbwinnipeg

Cadet
We have a 78 Ranger Aztec 17.5 ft. It is brown metal flake on the top side. Alot of it has weathered to the point of feeling the silver flake when you run your hand over it. The flake in these areas are more silver that the areas that are not weathered. In addition I was planning to repair some dings and old mounting holes before refinishing it. Should I fix the holes then get a metallic or metal flake paint from an auto body supply? Is there a specific brand of paint I should look for? Is paint ok or am I forced to use gelcoat? What about paint then marine varnish or polyurethane as a top coat? Thanks for any help. :)

denniz

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: metal flake gelcoat repair

id recommend shooting the top cap with imron, Its $100. a gallon plus hardner but its easier to work with

gdbwinnipeg

Cadet

thanks alot. I'll check it out and see from a dealer nearby hopefully, or get info online.

gdbwinnipeg

Cadet

I appreciate your input. I can see what you mean and I would feel that the chances of it turning out nice are far greater using a paint method. With 21 years experience you have had your share of trial and error I guess. Just out of interest I did talk to the people at Ranger Boats, and the guy I spoke to said the best bet was to re do the gel coat and flake, but he said it would be very tricky to get it right if you don't know what you are doing. That was the category I fall into!. So, if I can assure myself that the finish I put on will be durable and adhere well to the surface I am applying it to, I would like to go that way. We aren't bent on getting exactly the same color or flake so anything close that we like would do the trick. If Imron is the best choice then I can look at that, and maybe I will do all the prep and have a body shop spray it. Thanks alot.

Guvner..

Seaman Apprentice

I am at the exact place you are with no experience. I was thinking of filling the old drill holes with fiberglass and resin but adding some pigment of some type to the resin as I went. I even went so far as finding the original metal flake that went into the old Hydrasport. I was told shooting the metalflake with the clear coat was quite a nightmare with some flakes sticking up and needing a special sprayer to boot. I'm thinking now that just repairs and then just coating it with something resembling a clear coat over the old oxidised surface and my repairs will do. Any input would be appreciated... Especially on filling the holes from long ago depth finders and trolling motors. Any thoughts to what kind of pigmenting I could get away with in the repairs would be great too... Gary

andrewgroup

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've made some repairs and decided against an exact match due to my skillset. I was able to get the surface a perfect match though. A quick trip to my instant vinyl sign shop and I had them make me a large version of my boat logo and by goosh it looks like it was meant to be there...When all else fails, cover it up....