Metal Boat Lettering

johnmsch

Seaman Apprentice
Had a minor incident at the dock over the weekend (I don't want to talk about it 😫) and two of the letters in the Chaparral logo on my '94 2130 were knocked loose. Fortunately, they didn't go down to Davy Jones' locker. They were hanging on by a thread and I was able to pull them off.
Trying to find out what Chaparral used to stick them to the hull. It looks like a thin piece of rubber with adhesive on both sides.
Any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_7060.JPEG
    IMG_7060.JPEG
    1.6 MB · Views: 5

airshot

Rear Admiral
Most lettering or 3d advertisement is held on by double stick foam tape. Many companies now make it, if properly installed, that stuff holds extremely well !! I just bought some " Gorilla glue" extreme double sided tape that is exterior/marine rated, it is super sticky !!!

johnmsch

Seaman Apprentice
@Scott Danforth - I believe you're right. That does look like what was used. The boat just turned 29 years old and all those original chrome letters and the logo are still solidly in place and don't budge at all.
The instructions say it takes 72 hours to cure 100%. Wondering if I should rig up a way to keep some pressure on it during that time?
@airshot - Thanks for the tip, will definitely have to check that out

johnmsch

Seaman Apprentice
The next challenge is going to be getting out my X-ACTO blades to offset the edges when I put the tape on the back of the letters. I really like how Chaparral did that. When looking at the letters on the boat, it looks like they are just floating off the surface of the gelcoat.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
dont over-think it.

apply VHB to back of letters
trim with x-acto knife
use painters tape as guide to get in correct location
peal backing, stick in place, press with hand

the initial grip will hold in place. by the next day, you need a knife to remove.

airshot

Rear Admiral
That tape is also availiable in clear and about a 1/16" thick, that might make it appear to be floating off the surface !!

airshot

Rear Admiral
@Scott Danforth - I believe you're right. That does look like what was used. The boat just turned 29 years old and all those original chrome letters and the logo are still solidly in place and don't budge at all.
The instructions say it takes 72 hours to cure 100%. Wondering if I should rig up a way to keep some pressure on it during that time?
@airshot - Thanks for the tip, will definitely have to check that out
Same thing auto mfgrs use to hold on their emblems and trim. Make sure surface is warm ( not hot) hold in place and rub it onto the surface well. After 24-48 hrs it will be considered permenent...

flashback

Captain
Vhb will outlast the boat, last fall I had to remove the the remnants of the window shades on my old truck and the tape was the only thing left.. tough stuff !

johnmsch

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks guys, got it done on Thursday. Still a bit surprised I didn't slice any fingers off with all that detailed x-acto work!