messed up my steering

foresterjohn

Cadet
ok i was riding the kids in the waves and turning back and forth to get a bit of a splash for them on the bow when the steering seemed to have "slipped" coming down from a swell. Now it turns right but barely left. I guess whatever holds the cable gave way a bit? Is this fixable or not? I can manually turn it without much resistance.

Wasn't easy getting back to the landing on a busy holiday when i can only turn right and hold it straight!!

cr2k

Captain
Re: messed up my steering

The best answer I can give from the information provided is: Maybe.

You will need to provide some info such as type of steering system, mfg. OB or I/O? drive mfg.

Pictures are real helpful too.

foresterjohn

Cadet

Oops....the details: 86 Sunbird, 70 HP Evinrude Outboard, cable steering. There is a rod at the back end of the cable that moves the motor left and right.
I'll try for some pics in the AM. Thanks.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Look under the dash and tell us what that looks like, it is maybe a long bar that the cable goes into, if so it is a rack and pinion and they are know to fail eventually.

You will probably have replace it since there is really no way to fix them, they just wear out over time but 24 years is a pretty good service life.

Look up a Teleflex NFB(no feed back) system here at the iboats store, that should fix you right up.

foresterjohn

Cadet

there is a long bar that the steering cables leads into. Is there any way to recenter is or tighten it after its has "slipped"?

Bondo

Staff member

there is a long bar that the steering cables leads into. Is there any way to recenter is or tighten it after its has "slipped"?

Nope,... It's now Junk,... replace it with New...

foresterjohn

Cadet

ok thanks. now to search for link on replacing steering cable. appreciate the help.