Mercury xr4 fuel issues

notmine32

Recruit
I have 1989 Mercury Blackmax XR4, took it out today and when priming it leaks a good bit of gas out around where the fuel line connects to the motor. Started normal and ran for long enough to plane out and died. Each time if I squeeze the primer bulb again it will fire back up but do the same thing all over again. Fuel line connector and fuel pump rebuild? Thanks

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
First get rid of the leaks. I would permanently connect the fuel line to the motor with a 3/8" brass male/male fitting, versus a quick disconnect fitting.

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Fuel line does not connect to the motor. Fuel line connects to the fuel pump, then goes from the pump to the carbs where it Tee's off. Replace your leaking hoses and add hose clamps to each connection then your problem will go away.

Bondo

Staff member
and when priming it leaks a good bit of gas out around where the fuel line connects to the motor.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,...... When ya pump the bulb, that's a pressure leak, when the motor starts, the fuel pump sucks air through the same leak, so No gas,...

Fix or replace or by-pass the leakin' connector,....