Mercury Timing belt change and year

marinemike43

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Can anyone give me a rough breakdown on how to change the timing belt?

Mercury 115 Direct Charge

And not sure the year of this engine Serial # 6560150
Number stamped on boat is HSX02610M76F
Thanks Mike

daveswaves

Ensign
Re: Mercury Timing belt change and year

Can anyone give me a rough breakdown on how to change the timing belt?

Mercury 115 Direct Charge

And not sure the year of this engine Serial # 6560150 (Thinking its a 84)

Thanks Mike

If you are talking about the belt that drives the distributor then the newest it can be is a 1978. Is the belt currently broken? Do you have a new one? If not then leave it be.

marinemike43

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The Timing belt is broke.
Bought a new one to replace

Last edited:

daveswaves

Ensign

The Timing belt is broke.
Bought a new one to replace
Well in that case by all means replace it;). When you remove the top plate of the distributor pulley (remove the bolt in the center) you will see a dot on the gear. This dot lines up with dots on the flywheel, or just to one side of them in some cases. You will have to remove the flywheel in order to put the belt over the crank pulley, then re install the flywheel so that you can match up the marks. Most manuals have a decent picture showing this, even the aftermarket ones like Seloc. I strongly suggest that you purchase one, a picture is definitely worth 1000 words for this job. Its not a difficult job.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Mike, Set the flywheel to TDC. Remove the eight 5/16-24 bolts around the flywheel nut. I still think you will need to remove the inner flywheel, to get the timing belt to go onto the pully, due to the belt guard cast into the top of the block.

daveswaves

Ensign

Mike, Set the flywheel to TDC. Remove the eight 5/16-24 bolts around the flywheel nut. I still think you will need to remove the inner flywheel, to get the timing belt to go onto the pully, due to the belt guard cast into the top of the block.
I agree Chris, the complete flywheel has to come off.

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander

Chances are the reason it broke was something in the distributor that had momentarily locked up. Like bearings or something.

itfitz98

Cadet

I am in the same process. How do you get the inner flywheel off? I would be going through this but the PO in an effert to replace the distro cut the belt which what in fine condition and the belt gaurd is so tight that you cant slide the new belt on it.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

The inner flywheel is on a slight tapered shaft. Use a puller that bolts onto the flywheel using three of the 5/16 fine thread bolts arounf the nain flywheel nut.