Mercury Question??

Justaboatin

Seaman Apprentice
Hello,<br /> I am thinking about purchasing a "project" boat. It would need completely redone (new floor, paint the whole 9 yards) It has been sitting in a field for 4 years. They are only asking $150 for the boat. It has a Mercury 95HP 6 on it (that ran when it was put in the field) My question is, Does anyone know the roundabout year of this motor? And does anyone have any experience with it? Fuel Economy? Performance?<br /><br />On a side note (probably for a different area) has anyone tackled this type of project?<br /><br />Here is a link to the pictures of the motor.<br /> Boat Pic <br />It is a 2Mb file (sorry for the large size)<br /><br />Thanks in advance<br />Scott

MercFan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Mercury Question??

Hi JB,<br /><br />I'm no expert, but I quickly checked www.oldmerc.com and the only feasable 95hp 6 cylinder mercs I could find were produced in 1966 and 1967.<br /><br />The serial number for the motor will be on a plate between the two transom clamp screws. If it doesn't have a plate I found mine punched just below the flywheel on the chassis where the ignition is mounted.<br /><br />The more professional guys here will be able to where your model's hp was actually measured. From what I understand today's 115hp was probably a 90 "old" horsepower. At some point Merc stopped measuring hp where they were measuring and stated measuring crank hp (Or something like that)

Laddies

Banned
Re: Mercury Question??

Thatsn a 1966, should have standard ign on it, when new there where a few bad cranks but if it lived this long it's fine. They weren't a real thirsty engine, when properly tuned they would troll on a 18" boat, anyway $150 is cheap enough