Mercury outboard swap for a newbie

ottsixx

Cadet
I just got two boats and the one Im gonna use has a blown powerhead in a 1978 mercury inline six Ive got another boat with a fresh rebuildt 1971 mercury 115 horse 1150 inline 6,when I do the engine swap do I have to pull all the levers and cables or can I just disconnect the ourboards do the swap and hook the rebuilt outboard to the existing cables on the cajun boat,being as Im a newbie I thought maybe I better ask befor I jump into this cactus patch not knowing what I might get into,thanks in advance for any help in my project,Mike..........

prolinews

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Mercury outboard swap for a newbie

just disconnect it all at the transom. cables and harness should match up.

Jacket4life

Petty Officer 1st Class

I second.

I WOULD, however, take a good look at the cables and ensure they work poperly when you operate the controller.

I'd also change the impeller and lower unit lube before starting the motor. If it has been sitting a long time, you need to read the sticky at the top of this page about ressurecting an outboard. Lot of things you can do before startup to ensure things go well.

Best of luck!

emckelvy

Commander

If the newer motor's control harness plugs in at the outside of the motor, that harness will work as well on the older 115. Shift and throttle cables will hook right up in any case.

If the '78 has an internally-connected plug, you'll have to either re-wire the new harness or get a control box/harness compatible with the older motor.

HTH...........ed