Mercury outboard power trim won’t work under load

79 J-craft

Recruit
I have a 2014 20 hp Mercury 4-stroke Tiller with power trim (I know, very rare)

The power trim works perfectly fine while at idle speed but once I’m going any faster than that the power trim won’t trim up. It will trim down while up on plane but won’t go up at all.

Wondering how I could troubleshoot this or if the small trim pumps for little outboards just don’t have the power to do it while under load.

Thanks in advance!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I have a 2014 20 hp Mercury 4-stroke Tiller with power trim (I know, very rare)

The power trim works perfectly fine while at idle speed but once I’m going any faster than that the power trim won’t trim up. It will trim down while up on plane but won’t go up at all.

Wondering how I could troubleshoot this or if the small trim pumps for little outboards just don’t have the power to do it while under load.

Thanks in advance!
Are you sure it’s supposed too?
Can’t say on smaller units, but on larger units trim and tilt (trailer) are different functions. Tilt function is disabled above X rpm

79 J-craft

Recruit
That is power tilt and is working as designed. Power trim was never offered on these models.
Thank you for the info, I had no idea there was a difference between power trim and power tilt. Then yes it is working as it should, unfortunately.

79 J-craft

Recruit
Are you sure it’s supposed too?
Can’t say on smaller units, but on larger units trim and tilt (trailer) are different functions. Tilt function is disabled above X rpm
Thanks, you're correct. I didn't know there was a difference in tilt vs trim.