Mercury Outboard no pee hole discharge

Status
Not open for further replies.

fergmerc

Cadet
Re: Mercury Outboard no pee hole discharge

One thing I have done with success when a motor is peeing a little weak is to remove the screw at the top of the water jacket - there is a screw up there (at least on my 650 and on my in line 6's) that can be screwed out, and I have taken the nozzle of a presssure washer while the motor is not running and just sprayed a hell of alot of water in there. Then when I run again (at least the 3 times i have done this with very old motors) the water flows much better. I think when you send water counter to the nornal flow - pieces of crap in there get dislodged.

Also, actually one time we left the screw off when the motor was idling on muffs just ans an experiment and it was amazing how the water shot out of the hole on the top - like a fountain. If thats the case it woudl iindicate thet the impeller is good, but the hose discharginf from the jacket - or sotmething ont he port side of the engine is clogged. I would try it.

tthexic

Cadet

my 1992 mercury 60 horse does the same thingh no water coming out of pee hole yet runs normal maybe just a clogged pee hole doesnt mean there is a major problem does it

kennyg5522

Recruit

I run in a lot of shallow water and am constantly having to clear my line at the end of the day. I run the motor with the mufflers and water attached and then shoot compressed air back into the pee hole while running in the yard. Clears it everytime.

tthexic

Cadet

well i read a post whaere a man said dirt dobbers can make nest in pee hole line so i poped it off and there it was a nest . thks for the help

Jacket4life

Petty Officer 1st Class

well i read a post whaere a man said dirt dobbers can make nest in pee hole line so i poped it off and there it was a nest . thks for the help

That may have been me, they do it to mine every year, the little barstards!

Marty Niner

Seaman Apprentice

I replaced the impellor on my 200hp v6 Merc, and it still pees very little. I think the fact that the pee hose is connected to a t-fitting, that connets to the tops or both of the heads.

mygamebirds

Recruit

Guys, I have a 2005 Mercury 25 outboard, it used to **** like crazy! :)

Haven't took it out for a year, just changed the oil/filter, tested it with a good size bucket of water, not pissing. I took it out to the waters, still no pee!

I'm not mechenically technical, but any instructions on how to clean it would greatly be appreciated. Thank you!

jmj120

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I had a 60 HP Tracker.
1995 I think. It wouldn't pee when I bought it (traded for it, didn't run it). The guy was a retired Air Force man. Straight up guy, said it had never given any trouble. Any, I tried it out the first time, no pee. Took it home and changed the impeller and thermostat. Hooked up the muffs and it pee'd like a Russian Race Horse.
Took it to the lake, nothing. No pee, maybe a trickle, nothing else. I ran it a few minutes, engine stayed cool. Ran it more and more, she never overheated. Sometimes going down the lake it would pee, sometimes not. I chalked it up as the thermostat opening and closing. I also thought Mercs shot some water out the prop.
I tried blowing air thru the pee tube, didn't help.

j_martin

Admiral

On mercs, all the water that goes out the telltale has to go through a thermostat first, so first off, they will only drip a bit till the engine warms up.

There's enough fire in my V6 that on start up in summer, like 80 degree water, the stream stars in about 15 seconds. When the water's just above freezing, it only goes for a few seconds after slowing down suddenly from a high speed run. I evict the mud daubers about 4 times a year.

I rely on the pressure gauge to monitor my cooling. I'm in the habit of checking it when I start the engine, and again when I plane out. On first start with a cold engine I look for the tell tale stream to let me know the engine is warm enough for a hole shot without risking cold-seize.

JAY 22

Cadet

i'm having the same problem with the pee hole. last week i ran my motor and it was squirting fine. then the other day i was making a new wiring harness and stupid me i stepped on the hose, thus ripping the fitting out of the ear muff thing i just kinda jammed it back in there and then i ran the motor later and it was only coming out of the prop area. do you think it just doesn't have enough pressure now?

cleverlever

Recruit

I use one of these engines on a aquatic plant harvester.

Neve seen an engine pee hole plug so fast in my entire life.

The restrictor at the end of the hose has a step rather than a taper configuration so stuff hangs up on the step.

First thing I did was just remove it and let the open hose pee like a race horse.

However I still had the buzzer go off at low rpm despite the huge water flow. I assumed that the top of the cooling system wasn't getting full cause too much water escaped through the pee hole.

Tried to taper the OEM restrictor and that didn't work to well,

So I bought a fuel shut off for a lawn tractor and put that in place of the restrictor that allowed me to simply adjust the size of the peehole.

Cleaning the oem restrictor was not easy from the boat but this little valve extends outside the motor and is easy to get at.

Now I have complete control of pee hole discharge and if it plugs I just put the valve in the full open position and let the debris pass and then I adjust te peehole discharge to what ever flow seems desireable.

Hope this fix helps others with this problem

donzi gt230

Petty Officer 3rd Class

How to know you're supplying enough water with muffs-excess water should be flowing out around the cups. If they're positioned properly and leaking from both sides WHILE the engine is running, you should be fine.
Don't have to see the doctor till it burns-well, by that time everything attached to that pee hole is potentially compromised. Treat it as being your pee hole, you wouldn't want anything upstream from the pee hole to blow up right?
The hose out the side sounds good, so long as it's not causing a pressure or flow change that may be designed in. Love the fuel valve idea, easy clearing!

I've got a pair of 200's outside waiting for water pumps and other servicing, must motivate.

Status
Not open for further replies.