Mercury Merc 200 20 HP Will Not Pump Water Anymore

Chris52796

Seaman
Hi, I just started my outboard for the year and I just replace the water pump and I started and it was pumping water really good for 10 minutes, but I started it up again and now it will barely pump water. My only theory is that the old water pump impeller was missing rubber on it and it might of gotten sucked up last year and clogged up the water intake tube to the motor.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
What did it look like when you pulled the old one out if it was missing parts you would have seen it

Chris52796

Seaman
3 blades of the 6 were missing and I think I found 2 of the 3 blades that was missing so I think one blade got completely chewed up in little pieces and got sucked into the water intake, I tried reversing the water flow by pouring water from the hose that spits out the water from the motor. The water didn't come out of the intake tube, i saw water coming out somewhere else. I believe it came out of the exhaust.

Chris52796

Seaman
Well as of today I put high pressure water in the water intake tube and I put the lower unit back on and it seems to be working perfect now, I took it out for a hour ride on lake and it seems to be working properly for now, so if their was anything in the tube it might be gone now