Mercury Kill Switch Rebuilt

tuort

Cadet
My kill switch on my mercury 110 9.8 hp had the wires completely corroded off at the switch body and the copper cup under the rubber bulb was detached because the small stud part that the cup attached to was corroded through. I cleaned out the small corroded stud out of the pocket of the rubber bulb and replaced it with a #6 brass flathead screw. I cut the end off the screw to slip thecup overoxied it to the screw. You may need to open up the hole slightly to accomodate the screw. Don't allow much of the screw to come through the cup and use just enought epoxy to get a good bond. The cupped part of the copper cup faces out toward you. Drill small holes on each side of the cone shaped contacts in the switch body and run insulated wires from the back of the switch up and throught the holes. Solder the wires to the cone shaped contacts being careful to not let them get up on the tips of the contacts because this is where the cup in the rubber bulbwill make contact with the cone shaped contacts in the switch body. Fill the back of the switch body where the wires go through with epoxy. Be careful not to allow any on the threads of the switch body. This worked for me and saved me around $60 plus dollars plus shipping for a new switch. I know someone out there will probably inform me about a good cheap replacement for this switch but I just like to do such things and besides I am not inclined to spend more than necessary when I can do it myself. If anyone should need to do a repair like this I would be glad to go into more detail if you need help.