Mercury Ignition key question

Justaboatin

Seaman Apprentice
Hello all,<br /> I purchased a old project boat this week. The man I purchased it from is having a hard time finding the ignition key (it has been in a field for 3 or 4 years) The boat is a 1984 and it has Mercury controls with a older mercury outboard. Is there a way to replace the key tumbler? Or do I have to replace all the controls?<br /><br />Thanks in advance<br />Scott

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: Mercury Ignition key question

Hi Scott,<br /> I would head down to a Merc dealer and ask. Chances are they've got a whole keychain full of keys and most have a key making machine on the premises. Not sure how Merc handles it, but on OMC switches there is a number that corresponds to a pattern. Give the dealer the number and he may be able to get the key that matches it (if Merc uses a similar system). One way or another a dealer worth his mettle will be able to help you...<br />- Scott

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Any dealer will have a key for you assuming it is still the OEM ignition switch. Throughout the 80s, merc only had 12 or 15 different keys. For example, I have had or have a 1982 150hp, 1984 115hp and a 1985 50hp. All of them just happen to use the same key labled "2C".

SwampNut

Petty Officer 1st Class

Or a locksmith can re-key it pretty cheap. Some Lowe's stores have a rekey service also.

joblo33

Chief Petty Officer

If it uses the early Mercontrols you can open them up and look at the sticker on the side of the ignition switch for the key number. (ex: 123 or 132, or 213...etc) Then just tell the dealer what number of key you need.<br />Early Mercontrols:<br />
IMG_0587edt.jpg
<br />
IMG_1285edt.jpg
<br />Good Luck,<br />Eric

Justaboatin

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for all the reply's!!<br /><br />I am going to visit my local shop and see if they can help!