Mercury 90hp Gear Problem

Joe Kay

Cadet
I just finished replacing the shift shaft bushing and seal on my 1984 Mercury 90 hp 6 cylinder in line. I had to pull the prop shaft with bearing carrier and reverse gear to get the shift cam back on the shift shaft because a mechanic pulled the shift shaft out and the cam moved. When I put the prop shaft back in and turned the shift shaft to what I thought was NEUTRAL the prop turned freely in both directions. BUT the prop also turned when I turned the drive shaft. When I turned the drive shaft clockwise the prop turned counter clockwise and vice versa. Doesn't seem right, or am I missing something? Or was I not in NEUTRAL?
I then turned the shift shaft CW slightly into what I thought is FORWARD. The prop racheted loudly when turned CW and also turned CW when the drive shaft was turned CW. Seems right to me.
Then I turned the shift shaft CCW back to NEUTRAL and again to REVERSE. The prop racheted faintly when turned CCW and turned CCW when the driveshaft was turned CW. But there is a play of 10 degrees or so in the prop shaft which is not present in FORWARD.
So I have three questions I'd appreciate having the answers to:
What is causing the drive shaft to turn the prop when in NEUTRAL?
Why the loud ratcheting in FORWARD and faint ratcheting in REVERSE?
What is causing the play in the prop shaft in REVERSE?
Thanks for any help
Joe