Mercury 70 hp Tilt/Trim Rebuild

jd438

Seaman
I have a 1989 Mercury 70 hp with tilt and trim that leaks down. The s/n is OC137125. How do I rebuild the trim? How do I find the parts?

RLT III

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Mercury 70 hp Tilt/Trim Rebuild

how do you know it's broke.To me it sounds like you've got some external leaks(fittings and or parts) Internal cyl leak just get a new or used one could be a pump check valve leak or simple could be dirt in the system then flush with clean oil,fill and bleed... A manual could walk you through all of this so look to get one you'll need it

jd438

Seaman

I have a manual, and I don't think this is in there. Has a newer pump on it already. I would sure think rebuilding it would be more cost effective than replacing the entire unit. There really isn't anything external to it to have a leak. I flushed the fluid last year and replaced it.

RLT III

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well my shop manual covers 45-225hp 1972-1989 and in the back it has tilt and trim el or hy and breaks down wiring and switches but says if bleeding don't fix take to a dealer sorry i can't help but at least we can get on top of the forum so someone can