mercury 200 black max temperature

Garrett1992

Cadet
hey, i have a 1980 200hp black max. i was running it yesterday and i noticed while i was on plane the head temperature was reading about 180-185 at full throttle. when i got off the plane and was just coasting around it went down to like 165-170. the water pressure at full throttle was 25-27lbs and at idle its about 5 or 6 so that seems normal to me. is 185 too hot of a head temperature? the lake temperature was at 80 degrees also. the motor seemed to operate normally to me, just a little concerned about the temp.. thanks

Jlawsen

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: mercury 200 black max temperature

185 is right on the edge.

Garrett1992

Cadet

possible valuable information... i jacked the motor up two bolt holes on the bracket because i saw the cavitation plate was spraying a significant amount of water while i was running it. but the water pressure still seems normal.

Jlawsen

possible valuable information... i jacked the motor up two bolt holes on the bracket because i saw the cavitation plate was spraying a significant amount of water while i was running it. but the water pressure still seems normal.

That would do it, you'll still get reasonable water pressure but the volume may be inadequate. You can leave it like that if it performs better but you'll have to put a Bob's Machine Shop nose cone style low water pickup on it to keep it cool.

Garrett1992

Cadet

yea it definitely improved the rpms by a few hundred... ill just lower it down one bolt hole and it should be ship shape. its on a center console offshore boat so i dont think putting a nose cone on it would be appropriate? thats for like high-po bass boats?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

A nose cone is only good for a hull running over 70mph, does it loos pressure in a turn? If so drop it a hole...if alarm horn is working and you have no alarms its not getting hot and gauge is inaccurate (90% of the time)

Jlawsen

LOL,, actually they're really nice setups and work extremely well on any boat. Paint the lu silver and everyone will think you have a 5000.00 unit (from a distance). If you get the right one, they're great for running slow and trimmed up in the shallows also.

Garrett1992

Cadet

alarm is not working, no. and i havent looked at the pressure while turning, so i dont know about that one. part of the reason i jacked the motor up in the first place is to gain some rpms, cause it was too low before. and because the cavitation plate was spraying like crazy before. before i picked the motor up the temperature would stay like 170 or so, so it's most likely too high now im thinking.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

LOL,, actually they're really nice setups and work extremely well on any boat.
Only on a good lifting hull, I have had customers add them and actually slow the boat down as the they will pull the gearcase down when in a postitive trim mode due to the angle. The BRP lighting lower unit actually tells you not to install it on a boat running under 70mph for this reason......