Mercury 1500 help

I have a merc 1500 tower of power that I am trying to remove the hydraulics on. I have tried prying, tapping and heating to remove them. I want to use them on my mercury 650 3cyl. Anyone have some ideas??

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Are you supporting the motor to take the weight off the studs?

I have had the engine on the motor stand as well as hanging on the engine hoist. I just got the two bolts to spin on the top of the cylinders. But the brackets are still a no go, and I don't want to just beat the **** out of them.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I doubt the PTT system will fit your 650. You might measure the transom bracket and see.

Gee the PTT system is held on to the motor by 4 fine thread 1/2" bolts. They ought to unbolt. The upper trim cylinder brackets have a single bolt and nut.

Yes I have all four fine threads out, I have the top bolts on the cylinders moving now but not out yet. And also took the nuts off of the lower ?threaded rod? at the bottom of bracket and still won?t budge

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
The lower threaded rod is likely corroded. If the bracket wont pry off, cut the threaded rod. It is not really necessary, if the PTT brackets and motor are bolted tot he hull, like they should (six 3/8 bolts, washers and nuts)