Mercury 1150 leaky carborator...

DVTO2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I had cried uncle last year trying to tune up my 1972 Mercury 1150 and took it to a shop where I was slippery sloped into a $2000 repair bill (starting with a lower unit). Had I known it would have ended up being so much I would have looked for something else.

One of the things they did was to put in 3 "new" (rebuilt) carborators. The motor is starting right up, but the bottom carborator is leaking considerable fuel out the front when I pump the fuel line - a leaky carb is one of the reasons they replaced the carborators.

Obviously I am going to call them on Monday, but what things should I be thinking about with a leaky carb? It doesn't appear to be coming out of the back of the carb around the gasket, just the front.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mercury 1150 leaky carborator...

Hold their feet to the fire and make em fix it !!!! They repaired fuel ssytem and if they come back with replys like bad hoses or degrading internally that should have been caught and repaired with carbs and did you get old carbs back???

DVTO2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hold their feet to the fire and make em fix it !!!! They repaired fuel ssytem and if they come back with replys like bad hoses or degrading internally that should have been caught and repaired with carbs and did you get old carbs back???

I will call them. Unfortunately this was at the end of last season and I am just getting the boat back in the water now.

I did not get the old carbs back. It was a frustrating experience. For example, the told me they had to replace the starter but I never had a problem with the starter.

Am I right in assuming the carbs should not be leaking fuel when I pump the bulb? Now I noticing both the bottom and the second carb is leaking fuel (out the front) when I pump (after the pump goes hard).

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Am I right in assuming the carbs should not be leaking fuel when I pump the bulb?
Correct.. they should only do this if you really squeeze down HARD on bulb after its firm..