Mercury 115 info

thegooddan

Cadet
I just purchased a 'new to me' 17' alum deep v with a 115 Mercury outboard. Title says it is a 1993, but the serial number 0G101790 appears to be a 1994. Right? The title was obtained through the courts following a bankruptsy, so it might be wrong. I wasn't able to get an owner's manual, but from reading old threads, it appears to be a 2 stroke 4 cyl. Is it also a 2 & 2? Are there owner's manuals available? I can find Service/repair Manuals, but I plan to use the local Merc Marina to do all needed repairs(if any), so I don't think I need one of those. The engine looks new and I was told it has very low hours with a new service last year. Due to hard water, I haven't been able to use it yet. Any help and answers would be greatly appreciated.

thegooddan

Cadet
Re: Mercury 115 info

Gerry, I can't read the model number on the id plate. Is there someplace else I can locate the model number? It is with a 1993 boat, but appears to be in better condition. Thanks, Dan

Crazy D

Cadet

The 2+2 means that at idle it only uses 2 cylinders . When you go over about 2000 rpm the other 2 cylinders kick in . Some say it is when you go full throttle , others say it is determined at a certain rpm . I'm not sure , but it really doesn't help much being a 2+2 for me , it doesn't save me any gas that i can notice . My 115 is on a bass boat and i never really drive around at idle . I'm either at full throttle or i'm using my electric troll :D

And also you will notice a slight hesitation at times at that certain rpm when the motor decides to kick in to 4 cylinders . Sometimes when you romp on it and it pass thru that rpm . But mostly if you are cruising around steady at around 2000 rpm (which is about 5-10mph i'd say ) . When you are cruising around at that specific rpm the motor doesn't know what to do , be in 2cyl mode or 4cyl mode , and will stutter a little bit .

My motor number is at the bottom of the motor on the right side . It's like a little sticker with the numbers .

Hope that helps :)

carholme

Rear Admiral

gooddan;

Just wanted the model number to give you a correct parts listing if you needed it.

Gerry

thegooddan

Cadet

Gerry,
I found a barcode that says ELPTO 1994 115HP, So I guess that question is resolved. The title is wrong. Go figure. Crazy D, I do a lot of trolling at slow/idle speeds for Walleye, Strippers and bass, so I am anxious to see if it saves gas. I rarely used my trolling motor on my last boat. I was told to get a spare prop, but don't know what pitch is best. It seems a lower pitch would be better for trolling, but as I only intend it to be a spare, I guess it doesn't matter. Everywhere I read it says check the Manucaturer for recommended pitch, but alas, I can't find any specs for this model. Any ideas/recommendations? Thanks again, Dan

Crazy D

Cadet

My Merc 115 is a 1999 model , and it has a Merc. Laser 2 prop thats 20 pitch . It pushes my boat to about 54mph (dash reading not gps ) . I have a 1999 Triton Tr-17 bassboat , it's fiberglass . Don't know how heavy your boat is . I'm not too familiar with props enough too give you any good advice for which one for you to use .

Fun Times

Staff member

I wasn't able to get an owner's manual, Are there owner's manuals available?
Yes, there should still be two owner's manuals still available from mercury marine, A mercury marine dealer should be able to order one up for you.

The part number for your owner's manual/Guide your looking for is 90-10180980, It covers the (MERCURY/MARINER) 115 HP engine. The owner's manual/Guide MSRP is $24.95.

Also your engine model number is (1115412PD) And your right you're engine is a (1994).:)