Mercury 115 6-Cylinder Power Tilt Trim Won't Stay Up

wcsd106

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1986 Mariner (Mercury) 115 Outboard with the 3 ram Power Trim System. The system has worked fine for the past couple of years since I replaced the unit.

Last week I ventured out to the lake. The motor trimmed up fine and held itself up while I was backing the trailer down the ramp. The trim also appeared to work fine while under power.

When I went to get off the lake that afternoon, I noticed the motor would not stay up at full tilt. Ended up having to pull it up and quickly get the tilt lock lever engaged so as not to drag the lower unit up the ramp.

Checked it out today and the fluid looked like strawberry quick. I've been running up/down cycles and replacing fluid. It has helped, but it still won't stay up. It bleeds down slowly.

Questions:

1. I can't find any evidence of a leak, though there would pretty much have to be one, right?
2. Could a failed bypass valve O-Ring cause this issue to occur?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank You.

Attachments

• photo306479.png
    photo306479.png
    96.7 KB · Views: 0

wcsd106

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks, Jimmbo.

I spent most of the night reading what I could about it. For what its worth, it was converted to the 2-wire motor prior to me owning the boat. From what I've read, it sounds like there are a couple of seals in that pump that are prone to failure.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
If it is the Arco pump replacement the lower seal is bad ...never had any good luck out of Arco.