Mercury 100 hp oil injected modle year identification

holorinhal

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 100 hp Mercury oil injected outboard motor. How do I go about finding out what year it is. I cannot seem to find any serial numbers.
The controls have two wiring harnesses, one with a large pin connector and one with a small pin connector.
I am missing the small pin cord and am thinking that is the one for battery connection, because I do not see any other way that 12v is supplied.
here is a picture of the motor.

00p0p_3clSkDMBr8z_600x450.jpg

00Q0Q_1ZU2CDzm7Er_600x450.jpg

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: Mercury 100 hp oil injected modle year identification

The Outboard serial number is located on the lower
starboard side of the engine block. A serial number
is also located on the starboard side of the swivel
bracket.

The one on the block would look like this:

http://imageshack.us/a/img84/8224/391496208.jpg

Gerry

Dave1027

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have the same motor. Mine's a 1988. Pay close attention to the oil lines which like are disintegrating if they have not been replaced.

holorinhal

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, I found the ss# where you said. SS# B345114. I will try to look them up.
The motor has not ran in 20 years or more. My dad was the original owner and it was running when he took it off the boat. He took it off because he thought it was having an oiling problem. The motor was only maybe 5 years old when he took it off.
I am missing the cord that connects to the pin connector in the picture. Is this the battery connection? I do not see any other way to connect to the battery. I would like to turn it over to see I what is happening.
Does any one know the correct service manuals for this Motor? Thanks.

attachment.php

attachment.php

This is the controls that are with the motor

attachment.php

The pin cord that connects here is what is missing.

attachment.php

holorinhal

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looked up the ss# looks like it is a 1988. Having trouble finding an on line service manual and any info on the controls and wiring harnesses.
Took the plugs out and rotated the flywheel by hand and it turns freely, which is good news that it is not seized.

carholme

Rear Admiral

That s/n comes up as:

MERCURY - (100 H.P. (1988 ))
Serial No: 0B345114 Model No: 1100412BD

Parts List for model 1100412BD:

(4 CYLINDER) - Mercury, Mercruiser, Force, etc. Parts Lookup

Hard to see from the photos which connector you are talking about. That looks like a commander 2000 remote and here is a breakdown of the parts for that box:

Mercury, Mercruiser, Force, etc. - COMMANDER 2000 REMOTE CONTROL (16900 SERIES) - ACCESSORIES REMOTE CONTROLSVOLUME 2

Are you looking for item 62 or one of the other harnesses?

The manual you require is P/N 90-13645-2 and I do have the manual but the Powerhead section contains just the 3 cyl. information, not the 4 cyl. However, it does have the necessary wiring diagrams etc., and you can have a copy if you PM me with an email address.

Gerry

holorinhal

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Gerry, the harness that I am missing, is the second half of the short 5 pin connector, coming off the controls. The long harness that plugs into the engine is there. The short one is missing the part that plugs to the control and goes to wherever. I saw a picture that said it contained the tack feed and 12v ignition wiring . Does it contain the battery connections. I do not see any other way the engine connects to a 12v power source. it is Item d on page 2-d9 of this wireing diagram. I need the part that plugs into it.http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=commander%202000%20remote%20control&source=web&cd=15&cad=rja&ved=0CH8QFjAO&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmotorka.org%2Fdoc%2Fmercury%2Fservice_manual%2Fmercury_2t%2Fmercury_225_225EFI_250EFI%2F2d.pdf&ei=5zX1Ubf9Gs_0igLxjoHwBQ&usg=AFQjCNHXifyURsCc4yojVLIIWITDBuShoQ

carholme

Rear Admiral

Is this the one?

Mercury O B Wiring Harness Mercury Mariner 84 86396A8 | eBay

As for the battery connections, they are usually heavier cables, positive coming from the connection on the starter solenoid to positive of the battery and negative, grounded to a mounting bolt on the starter and out to the battery negative.

Gerry

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

The 5 pin wire is for the tack and 12v power to the gauges on the consul. That cord can still be found in different lengths to reach the consul. 12 v is supplied to the controls thru the main power cord from the motor to the controls and from there thru the ignition switch to the dash by the 5 pin cord. The wiring diagrams you show are for several different modules of controllers, and you will need to use the one for your style. Either the commander or the commander 2000 should be needed. JMO
Oldman570

holorinhal

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you Gerry, That is just what I need.
I think I will get some Cable and just make a set for now ,to mess around with the thing on the stand.