Merc's on tundras

rodster

Seaman
I just bought a 2004 tundra18 sc with 150xr6 merc. and I notice the prop hub is a little smaller than gearcase hub.
the prop is a trophy plus21pitch. I thought v6 merc motors use the bigger hub size? is there performance lost on this. like Rpms,speed...??

2nd questionis, i want to purchase a 9.9 kicker, I have trouble deciding on shaft length 15 or 20. any advice would help. thanks in adavance

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Merc's on tundras

The small hub props work well on bassboats and lighter hulls. They allow exhaust bubles to cushion the thrust which allows the engine RPMs to peak quicker and improve your holeshot. Once on plane, the exhaust is drawn fully thru the hub and you can often feel it hook-up, sorta like kicking into second gear. Larger props achieve the same effect with ventilation holes or slots. Both work about equally well. The small hub props were an early performance trick before vented props came along.

There are also Merc V-6s that have small hub gearcases. They tend to be a tad faster than the large ones because there is less drag. But they are also weaker and you can tear-up the gears without too much provocation. Another advantage of the small hub gearcases is that they can run in shallower water by about 3". But with the durability issue, it's a give-and-take.

Regarding a short or long kicker, the short would probably work. But the prop may not clear the hull line and may not be as efficient due to turbulance of the water filling in behind the transom. The long would extend below the hull farther and push cleaner water. But it depends on the height of the transom where it is mounted and the angle of the bottom of the hull at the stern. You'd have to do some measuring. It often happens that a short it too short and a long is too long. So you have to judge from that.

Another factor would be the water you intend to troll. For lakes, the long might be the better choice. For rivers, I'd tend to go with the short. With the long, you also want to make sure it will tilt out far enough so it doesn't snag the water when you're up on plane with the big motor.

rodster

Seaman

thank you very much Willy!.
my boat weights 1600lbs, so does that classify as a lighter hull. Plus the prop already has vent holes.

The reason why i am concern is because i am only getting 4600 rpm's at WOT. the tracker USA told me that boat best performs with 21 pitch laser2 which is larger hub size prop. Base on your facts w hich make a lot of sense, my smaller prop hub (trophy 21plus) on larger gearcase should increases RPM's?

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Yeah, it should. I would expect more RPMs. It might be possible that the tach is set wrong (most have multiple settings), or that you're not running on all 6. Pull the sparkplugs and see if they're all burning the same, or there's one or two that look significantly different.

With the vents on the small props used on large gearcases, the exhaust escapes thru the gap rather than the vents. So the vents are basically just going along for the ride in your application.

I would expect that motor to be able to spin more than a 21 on a 1600lb boat. But a lot has to do with the kind of hull design and material as well. Still, 4600 is way low. Don't be afraid to spin up to 6000 with that motor. Look into compression and spark.

The smaller hub props have smaller blades, meaning less total surface area. A small hub 21 should spin faster than a large hub 21. But then 4-blades have more surface area than 3-blades, so it might even-out between your small Trophy and a large Laser.

rodster

Seaman

Willy, thanks again buddy..
I'll check the spark plugs first. What significant difference in "burning all the same" mean? What do i look for?. I guess i should clean them first to get a benchmark before running the motor?

The compression done last week were 105-107 on all 6 cylinders?

If that passes, I'll bring the boat to the mechanic and get my tach check out-calibrated?

thanks

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

It's not uncommon for a cylinder lose spark. Deposits left behind on the sparkplugs should look alike. If any are obviously cleaner than the others, that/those aren't firing. 2004 isn't as likely to have that problem as older models of the 80s and 90s, but it's still a possibliity. It could also be a clog in a carburetor and that too will be fairly easy to see by the deposits on the plugs. Ideally, they'll be dark brown and a bit damp-looking.

2-strokes are weird. Deposits left on a 4-stroke plug usually indicates a problem. Lack of deposits on a 2-stroke plug usually indicates a problem.

rodster

Seaman

your comment "It's not uncommon for a cylinder lose spark". are you referring to a bad cylinder ot is it the spark plug. compression of 105 i was told is fine. the motor is a 05 and has warranty?

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

No, an electrical problem involving the coil or a component that sends power to it. Or possibly a sparkplug. They can fail too.

rodster

Seaman

thank you so much Willy. merry christmas an i hope it's nothing major..

rodster

Seaman

Hello and HAPPY NEW YEAR!
I just found a screw and washer at the base of the motor and realized it was from the middle carb-flappy thing. basically the top and bottom carb-flap was opening during throttle and the middle kept shut. Since I ran this motor for 5 hours with this condition.
Q1. did i do any damage to the motor
q2.is this the reason for the 4500 rpm at WOT?
thank you

rodster

Seaman

hey willy are you around?

I think i found the low-rpm-power problem? over the holidays, i found a screw and washer at the base of the motor and realized it was from the middle carb-flap and it prevented synchronization when applying the throttle. the top and bottom carb-flap only opened as the middle kep shut. I was wondering if you comment on my questions

Q1. did i do any damage to the motor when running on 4 cylinders

Regarding the long-short shaft kicker (short prefered) on my my tundra18. I took some measurements as per your reccomendation and the short shaft will have the center of the prop in line with the step-hull so half of the prop has clean water. how inefficient will this be and does the step hull help?

thanks and i hope i make any sense here?

Bassgod

Seaman Apprentice

RM, for a reference I have a Tracker Pro 190 Bass Boat with a 115 Optimax. I have that Laser 2, 21P on my motor and it turns 5700 rpm at WOT. So your 150 Merc should really be turning that thing.