mercruiser water hose help

record hunter

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a delima that I know someone has changed before. It is the raw water hose that goes from the lower unit to the bell housing it is outside the boat .I have a pre alpha 1979 mercruiser. It looks like it is about a 3/4 size hose. I can see it but was wondering if I have to take off the outdrive and the gimbal to change or exactly what I have to do .Any help would be great thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: mercruiser water hose help

It's been my experince that if you have Any bad hoses/bellows, It's time to change All of them..!!<br />Drive Bellows...<br />Water Hose...<br />Exhaust Bellows/tube...<br />And, While you're in there, Put a New Lower Shift Cable,+ Bellows in....<br /><br />I see your in Hawaii, That leads me to think this is a SaltWater boat.....<br />If that's so, Have a Marine Tech do the job for you, <br />Unless you have a Great Love for Busted Knuckles......<br /><br />Yes, The drive comes off,+ the Gimbal assembley is torn apart....<br />It takes several Special Tools,+ Tricks.....

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: mercruiser water hose help

Don't cheap-out on that hose. It's rather stiff, and needs to be. A regular 3/4" heater hose will kink and water delivery will be severely diminished.