Mercruiser trim problems

1982searay

Cadet
Bought a 1982 Sea Ray last year with a merc 260. Trim worked fine for a week and then i stopped working right. Only raises while moving slow and leaks down pretty quick. Wont raise at all while driving fast. Any ideas?? New boat owner so i know nothing.

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Mercruiser trim problems

It sounds like the trim cylinders my be worn out. . . Or it may be an issue with the pump leaking back.

I would do a few tests on land to see when the drive leaks down, if the fluid goes back into the pump reservoir

1982searay

Cadet

ok thanks for the info. I changed the gear oil yesterday so i know that it takes a while to leak down on land, but while in water last summer i remember it leaking down pretty quick. Ive also noticed one of the hydraulic deals that extends back and forth has some build up on it while the other side doesnt. Basically i really wondered if there was something i could do such as maybe add more fluid or whatever to take care of it for now.

nlain

Commander

I have had 2 SeaRay boats, 1 87 and the current one, on both the trim pump with reservoir was mounted back at the transom on the deck, you should see it if you look back there.