Mercruiser tilt sensor reliability?

GL2238

Cadet
Recently purchased boat with 7.4MPI B3 310HP (200 hours). Owners records indicated two replacements of tilt sensor on outdirve. Is this part a major reliability issue? Other owners indicated same problem along with the usual pitot clogged problem. It again hangs up and is erratic on the top end of the scale.<br /><br />Can a laymen replace the sensor assembly? Can it be accomplished with the boat in the water with sensor under surface? What major assemblies have to be removed, if required, for replacement? Will resistance checks, whlle tilting outdrive, on the sensor output pins work to localize problem?

tommays

Admiral
Re: Mercruiser tilt sensor reliability?

it is a big pain in the azz job that must be done on land i would say you would need a manual to do it<br /><br />a lot of people give up and use the boat with out them<br /><br />a lot of people keep them repiared<br /><br />tommays

GL2238

Cadet

Tnx: You just confirmed my belief that this repair is a planned obsolescence component by Mercruiser based on the sheer number of people reporting problems. Sounds like a better mousetrap is in order.

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

The merc parts come with a set ofcomplete detailed instructions on how to replace and adjust the tilt/trim sensors. No need for a manual.<br />It has to be done out of the water, no matter how well you can hold your breath.<br />I have repaired/replaced them a couple times on my boats, and sooner or later the trim indicator gives up the ghost.<br />As long as the up limit functions....say to blazes with it.<br />I haven't even looked at the trim indicator gauge in a long time....if you are experienced, you always know where the drive is.

GL2238

Cadet

Bomar76: What part of the outdrive housing, if any, has to be removed to replace sensor?<br />Tnx:

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

None of it.<br />The "sensors" are the little round things on the sides.<br />Fishing the wires back through can be interesting.

GL2238

Cadet

I had heard that the bell housing had to be removed. Nice to know that a little luck has come my way. Wish I had a trailer (laugh).

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

I have the Mercruiser instructions laying around here somewhere....if I run across them I will post a scan.