Mercruiser MAG 350 MPI Bravo to Alpha config swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

ksliger

Cadet
Re: Mercruiser MAG 350 MPI Bravo to Alpha config swap

Thank you to all who have posted on this thread.After considering all options I will be going with a Bravo One drive.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

While it's going to cost more money.....You're gonna LOVE that Bravo...

frank246

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just a thought...Can the ignition wire to the ECM box, comming from the ign. key not be interupted by the shift interruptor switch when this one is swapped by a normaly closed type? I do the same on my HEI.

ksliger

Cadet

Just a thought...Can the ignition wire to the ECM box, comming from the ign. key not be interupted by the shift interruptor switch when this one is swapped by a normaly closed type? I do the same on my HEI.

I wondered that very same thing Frank. It seems like you could wire your shift interrupt like this. I just didn't know if it was possible or how to do it. I have already found some nice used Bravo Ones by shopping around a little bit. I'm just going to get one and be done with it.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I don't believe you would want to glitch the power going to the ECM box. The ECM is controlling way more than ignition.

ksliger

Cadet

One more thing regarding this motor. It is a 2002 MAG 350 MPI. Would I need one of the new transom assemblies that Merc sells? I see that there is a Magnum transom assembly (6-6311002NZ) and a SmartCarft transom assembly (6-6315002TP). Or could I just get an old transom assembly and put it on there (leaving some of the SmartCraft stuff unplugged on the engine side) without any problems?

ksliger

Cadet

Ran across this and wanted give an update in case anyone in the same situation runs across this thread: Everything Don said was spot on. The Bravo ECM has no option for operating an interrupt switch since the Bravo does not have one. I did end up finding a guy who was authorized by mercruiser to reprogram ECMs but it was going to be like $600 bucks. Decided to wait on a good deal on a Bravo I drive. I got really lucky and found a guy who was selling a brand new spare that was only a few years old for $1500. I bought a brand new transom assembly and put it all together. Whoever said I would love the Bravo it right! I have been enjoying it tremendouosly for two years now. Thanks again to all who helped me figure this out and a special thanks to Don. You are just the man!

1kwik72

Petty Officer 3rd Class

EXCELLENT timing! I just bought a used 98' 350 Mag MPI but I have an 84' Alpha one in my boat. I was going to use the Alpha and try to make it work but I've come to see that I have to either go Bravo or just flip this motor (got it for VERY cheap) for a profit. Today I found a boat with a Bravo in it that the lady is basically dumping. I can get the whole setup for $1000...but I have to strip this 26' SeaRay down and sell or dispose of the hull.

Thanks for the info! I'm looking forward to having a 300hp smallblock and a Bravo in the boat!

Status
Not open for further replies.