Mercruiser Generation question...

Gearbreaker

Recruit
I recently purchased my first I/O mercruiser and it has been a miserable experience so far. It's in a 17' Dynasty in nearly new condition. It was converted to a 165 straight six. The Gimball is what looks like an Alpha 1 Gen 2 but the outdrive doesn't look like it is exactly the correct one. The two castings line up and are together okay but the casting lines don't really look like they match. The Gimball has a S/N of OC690602 and the outdrive has a S/N 3844698. The outdrive also says HP 120/140 on it.

I need to know what the outdrive is because I did the stupidest thing I have ever done in my life. I backed the trailer the boat is sitting on into my driveway with the outdrive down and broke the entire skeg off of the lower unit. I also trashed the prop. :mad: I need to now replace the lower unit but I want to be sure that I get the right one for the boat. Because I haven't had the boat in the water I have no idea what ratios and prop were installed. I"d hate to but a new prop and find out that it doesn't match the gearing. I'm literally sick over this entire event because I am supped to go on vacation next week and really need to get it together. My questions are.... Do I need to find a lower unit that is a Alpha 1 Gen 1? Is the Gen 1 identifiable by the upper casting having a complete rectangles on the sides in which the tags are stuck on (one has the S/N on it)? And what pitch prop should I look for? Help me before I decide I am too stupid to own an I/O! :(

Gearbreaker

Recruit
Re: Mercruiser Generation question...

Looks like I have an MC-1 outdrive on an Alpha 1 Gen 1. Am I correct? My next question is, is the MC-1 the same as what people are calling "Pre Alpha"?