Mercruiser Flywheel Cover

Raystownboater

Chief Petty Officer
Does anyone have a photo of a Mercruiser flywheel cover for a 1980 228 (305) or know if it can be removed without pulling the engine?

Raystownboater

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Mercruiser Flywheel Cover

If I remove the 6 bolts, shouldnt the cover slide straight down without having to lift the engine up? If that is the case, I have enough room ( I think ) to slide the cover straight down and bending it as I go to remove it. I'd like to avoid pulling the engine, or lifting it in any way, if I could.

Raystownboater

Chief Petty Officer

When you remove it, there is nothing to support the rear of the engine.

Maybe Im missing something. Im talking about the thin piece of sheetmetal that covers the lower half of the flywheel? Isnt the engine supported in the rear by the bell housing and rear engine mount?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

The problem is getting to the dust cover bolts. is there enough room to drop the dust cover.Some models need the starter removed first. Some use a cutout, some dont.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

IMG_1765-1.jpg

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

On your 228, the bolts for the dust cover come in from the engine side of the cover, not the drive side as show in BT's picture above. His is a much newer model
As stated, some have to have the starter remove. the biggest problem you will have is having enough room under the engine to drop the cover low enough to get it out.

attachment.php

Attachments

• dust cover.jpg
    dust cover.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 4

Raystownboater

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for all the help. I realize I should have stated it was the dust cover and not the flywheel cover.

Raystownboater

Chief Petty Officer

Actually had to pull the motor this morning and removed the dust cover. Problem solved.