Mercruiser Engine Won't Start

I have a 1998 Regal 2760 Commodore with twin Mercruiser 4.3L, assuming also 1998.

I had a problem with the port side engine. The starter and/or the slave solenoid was clicking, so, using Don's super helpful troubleshooting thread, I diagnosed it to the starter. I ordered a new start, installed it, said a quick prayer and the engine started right up.

It worked great, started 10 or so times with no problem. Impressive for a boat of that age I'd say.

But, and a big but, I went to start it a week or so ago and it did not start. I figured, based on the troubleshooting thread, that the ignition was bad.

I heard no clicking whatsoever. Starboard engine still started great. I tested the ignition, dials come on when you turn it to on so it wasn't that. I went to the slave solenoid, there was a current across since when I tried to jump it, there were sparks. I figured it may be the 90 amp fuse near the starter, removed the starter, removed fuse, disassembled it and it looked good, no burnt bridge. I reinstalled the starter and tried to jump the slave again hoping I have knocked something in to place, no luck. I did disconnect the battery for all of this so I wouldn't kill myself. I did also try to just jump the batteries.

So from what I understand, not the ignition, not the nuetral switch, not the slave...but the brand new starter? Really? Hoping not, but I have gotten quite good at removing and installing starters.

I don't want to remove the starter again and bench test it, but I may have to.

I will say, I've tried many store bought testing lights and none have been satisfactory so I've been troubleshooting without one.

If there anything I can do to troubleshoot this without another starter remove? Would there still be a current across the slave if lets say something more simple happened, like tripping the circuit breaker?

turbocorrado

Petty Officer 1st Class
sounds like the starter, i have a autozone test light that i bought for the house (have a matco one at work) and it has worked great, dunno if youve tried theirs or not

if its not to time consuming you can swap starter from the other motor

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Check the ground on the flywheel cover ? Is it clean froma corrosion staidbpoint and tight ?

Just replaced the starter. Tried to test it while wired but not bolted into the engine. Didn't work. Realized that the connection to the engine block serves as the ground. Bolted it to the block. Turned the key. Didn't start. Although, went to go jump the slave and it started right up. Still don't have a test light, so I can't tell if the slave solenoid is malfunctioning, but that's what I'm assuming. Gauges still work when I turn the key so the ignition works. Boiled it down to slave solenoid or nuetral safety switch.

Bondo

Staff member
Still don't have a test light,

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... The start circuit goes from the key switch, the yellow/ red wire, through the neutral safety switch in the control, to the slave's exciter terminal, 'n the yellow/ red bigger wire from the slave, to the starter's solenoid,....