Mercruiser Engine Mounts

IanFS

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all
I have a 1988 Sea Ray Seville with a 4.3L V6 Mercruiser. Sadly one of the front engine mounts has rusted away on the bottom plate so time to replace. These are the old type of mount.
I've done the usual Googling for a replacement pair but can only find HGE aftermarket here in the UK. Trouble is the website I'm looking at doesn't specify which model they are for, but merely gives a weight they will take which is 160kgs with a 16mm stud. Here..........
https://repowermarine.com/index.php...exible-engine-mount-160kg-with-16mm-stud.html
So I've checked through the Mercruiser PDF Manual I got from here a few years back and can't find the weight anywhere.
Any help would be very much appreciated, even if it meant I try to get a couple from over there in the US.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... I'm 99% sure that's the mount used with the pre-balance shaft 4.3s,.....

Yer replacin' both of 'em, Right,..??
You'll have to do a motor alignment when you do,....

IanFS

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi Bondo
It's good to be back, I must admit I have been away from the forums for a while now and had to re-register.
Yep, definitely I'm going to replace both.
I doubt my engine is a pre balanced shaft version (how can I tell)? so do you think the mounts I showed you would be suitable? They seem to go by weight now rather than marrying to a model number.
1/ Will 160kgs (352lbs) be sufficient?
2/ Also, something that's bothering me is that the mounts seem to be bolted to the wooden mounting blocks, please tell me they are not just bolted into the wood and they have captive nuts of some sort.
3/ Can I use the later type of mount on an older engine?

dubs283

Vice Admiral
1. should be, guessing that's weight per mount = 700lbs
2. most mounts are held down with 1/2" stainless lag bolts and sealant/adhesive
3. possibly, some of the non balance shaft 4.3 used a fluid filled mount, easy to ID by the cable straps fore and aft of the fluid bushing on the mount.

Do your current mounts look like the ones you posted in the link?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you need the squishy mercruiser mounts

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Hi there.
"Good to be back/I had to re-register"
What was your old username?
And what is the engine serial number? (You gave us the year of the boat, which is next to useless to us)

Chris...

IanFS

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the replies guys.
dubs283
1/ Thanks for the weight info
2/ I had some brain fade for how they are held down. As you say, looks like 2" bolts but through a pretty solid platform with nuts the other end.
Current mounts see photo
Engine mount.jpgEngine mount 2.jpg

Scott
"you need the squishy mercruiser mounts"
Not sure what you mean, sorry!
achris
Struggled this morning to remember my old username, it may have been Cap'n Jack but really not sure. You and I were trying to meet up a number of years ago when we visited our friends who live in Woodvale, unfortunately you were out on the Research Ship at the time.
Apologies for not posting the serial number but sadly I cannot find it, so I think I may be bugg***d....see photo
Engine and Transom Serial No.jpg

Not really sure what to do at this moment, the nut holding the base assembly to the bracket looks pretty corroded, if I'm lucky it may turn, if not maybe use a Dremel to cut it off.
Either way it is frustrating, I can find exactly the right ones used advertised, but they are now out of stock, or after market ones but not specific to this motor.
I'm fairly certain the part number I need is 98323A6. So may have to order two from a dealer at £200 each and wait.
Any further help will be gratefully received.
Many thanks Ian

Rivergator

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just realized, you live in the UK. The HGE1609 that is shown in your link is the correct mount. I compared all the measurements to mine. It is identical to mine and mine is a perfect fit and as good or better than the original. Go for it!

IanFS

Petty Officer 2nd Class
As AChris asked: what was your previous username?
They can be merged, which would you prefer? IanFS or the old name?
@colonel_sanders
Thanks jb but for the life of me I cannot remember exactly. I was certain it was IanFS but it may have been Cap'n Jack. Sadly old age is catching up. ha ha!

IanFS

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just realized, you live in the UK. The HGE1609 that is shown in your link is the correct mount. I compared all the measurements to mine. It is identical to mine and mine is a perfect fit and as good or better than the original. Go for it!
That's great thank you for all your help. We sometimes have to order from the US as UK doesn't always supply, but in this case you've put me right with my UK supplier. My only concern with the HGE is that the cover and base plate are only Zinc coated, however I have some two pack epoxy paint which should provide good protection against our nasty salty waters.
Thanks again, you're a star.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
For rust proofing if you can get it in the UK, a couple coats of Rustolium primer and Rustolium black brush applied, will work well. I did that on my exhaust manifolds and that has kept them rust free. 100% salt water on the mooring all season.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
non balance shaft v6's need the liquid filled mounts. AKA the soft and squishy ones. this reduces the vibration transfer to the boat.

IanFS

Petty Officer 2nd Class
non balance shaft v6's need the liquid filled mounts. AKA the soft and squishy ones. this reduces the vibration transfer to the boat.
Thanks Scott, much appreciated, but I'm having trouble finding the engine no. see attached, I therefore don't know if is a balanced shaft engine....Engine and Transom Serial No.jpg

IanFS

Petty Officer 2nd Class
For rust proofing if you can get it in the UK, a couple coats of Rustolium primer and Rustolium black brush applied, will work well. I did that on my exhaust manifolds and that has kept them rust free. 100% salt water on the mooring all season.
That's great Lou, great information, I can get that over here.

IanFS

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I forgot to ask you. Did you find it hard to get the nuts and bolts undone? Did you take the bracket off the engine or did you undo the lower mounts from the brackets? How did you manage to get them off and how did you support the engine? Sorry loads of questions.

IanFS

Petty Officer 2nd Class
After a bit more research I found my engine number on the plate attached to the flywheel housing............ sorry but I have a couple more questions...
Question 1/ B960007 which I guess is 0B96007, is that correct?
A few different look up's give different answers as to the type but are similar. Sounds daft but I'm assuming if Mercury say it's a Mercruiser 4.3L (2 BBL) 262 V6 then that's what it is, range 0B773243 - 0D7141106, is that correct for future reference.
Parts look ups give 2 different mounts for this engine but my current ones are the older type and mine does have what I believe is the Harmonic balancer or Damper with the timing slot.
Question 2/ I'm fairly certain my current mounts are the older style (ordered) but the diagrams only show two bolts or one bolt (screw) and a stud. Although the bolts are sold as pack of 5 and the stud as 1. So on checking mine I see that the stud is one side only, can one of you confirm this is correct? However, in the listings, it says Special Stud Starboard, mine is the Port side looking forward, has anyone come across this please?
Question 3/ One of the bolt heads is a little worn, I've tried a 6 sided socket slightly smaller but am worried about rounding it off, has anyone used anything like bolt extractors before .......
Bolt extractor
and if so, do they further damage the heads.
Oh how I wish we had stayed imperial, so much better than metric.
Any help is gratefully received.
PS, achris / Bondo ,I found my old username, its being merged. "English Mariner"