Mercruiser Dipstick tube Part Number

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant
I am just about finished my 383 for the boat and I need to get a new dipstick and tube. the block is an old one its a Chevy 350 between 68-79,casting 3970010 the dipstick is block mounted on the drivers/ port side. Does anyone know the Mecrruiser part #? The auto one will defiantly not fit as it will interfere with the exhaust manifold.

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant
Re: Mercruiser Dipstick tube Part Number

Ok, I'm guessing nobody knows it off hand, I did some searching and found part # 72539 and 86083A1 is the closest I can come to it I am also seeing that a lot of places say its obsolete . From the look of the picture though it looks like it turns outward to the outside of the manifold and not between the manifold and head is this right????? I am to the point I will cut, swege and braze onto a auto dipstick tube and bend it up to fit

Any thoughts or help?

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Figured I would try one more time before giving up and making my own, here is a pic of the new engine and the dipstick location
IMG00452re2.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Ain't got your answer,..
But,..
Another alternative is use a Base mounted dipstick....
Just plug the block....

Matt89GT

Seaman Apprentice

Well I been having the same dilemma just as you are and the part numbers are 72950 for the lower tube and the upper tube is 32-72539, in fact they come up between the manifold and head. Unfortunately they are not available from iboats that I found, although they can be had from wholesalemarine.com, not promoting them in the least but they had the tubes, hope it helps ya

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Ayuh,... Ain't got your answer,..
But,..
Another alternative is use a Base mounted dipstick....
Just plug the block....

Thanks for relying Bond-o I was starting to feel lonely here ;) .

I already installed the pan :( really don't want to pull her to retro it. I have looked all over and everything I find says obsolete. I think at this point I might just use the dipstick I have from the 305 ( the tube was rotted) measure the tube the best I can from that and make my own. Figure I'll fill the engine oil run it then notch the stick as necessary . Tomorrow I will measure up the tubing and get what I need to make one.
I made my own oil drain using areoquip from the bottom of the pan so I don't care about the fitting on top of the tube

Thanks Again
Bill

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Thanks Matt,
I think I found that part # too I thought there was some sort of issue with it gonna give it another look

Edit - Matt, just looked at it on marine power source it shows cuplings a 17a ,b kinda like a compression coupling setup

Thanks again,
Bill

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Thanks Eric, An automotive flex one would work but their to short. I measured it up yesterday I think I came up with like 12-13" from the block to clear the exhaust manifold. I remember thinking I need a 14" x 7/16" tube to make one. I did think about taping the block & making one out of braided Aeroquip but I worry that the dipstick might catch an the fitting and be a real pita. There is nothing worse than your dipstick getting jammed :eek: LOL

Bondo

Staff member

I did think about taping the block & making one out of braided Aeroquip but I worry that the dipstick might catch an the fitting and be a real pita. There is nothing worse than your dipstick getting jammed LOL

Ayuh,... Salvaged speedocable makes Great Dipsticks,... Course, it ain't used most cars today...
I'm thinkin' an old Merc. lower shift cable inner wire would work Pretty Sweet...

Copper tubing, or steel brakeline can be swaged to fit the block too...

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Ayuh,... Salvaged speedocable makes Great Dipsticks,... Course, it ain't used most cars today...
I'm thinkin' an old Merc. lower shift cable inner wire would work Pretty Sweet...

Copper tubing, or steel brakeline can be swaged to fit the block too...

Hey Bond-o

I was thinking brakeline, Initially I was going to swag a dipstick tube I have and braze a piece of 7/16 steel line into it but you think copper would be OK ? I have lots of copper, I could Swag a peice of 3/8 to fit in the block maybe braze a bead around it to act like a shoulder stop. I didn't have time to play with the boat today I'm on a 3 day project if its raining here tomorrow like it did today it will be boat time :D, can't cut roof penetrations in the rain lol